June 7, 2024

If I had a wingsuit...

Not sure how this post will look once I click publish...
Not sure what I'm going to write...

I've had a week of grief. I know what the trigger is. If I write about it, will I hear the critic in my head telling me it's silly, that I should be thankful, that I should have a great joy, and other damn shoulds?

~*~

I want to post the pictures I took Thursday, along with my thoughts about them at the time. But that takes more effort than the energy I have at the moment. I'd need to load the pictures onto my computer, caption them, and then upload them to my blog. Is it worth the time? I did post a short Twitter thread about my Thursday daytrip. Of course, like most of my scribblings, I get few lookers. And that's okay.

It was a magical trip Thursday. Very few humans around, not even on the roads. I drove to the Blue Ridge Parkway via my typical route. Back roads to King and jump onto Highway 52 North. Drive about 20 miles to Business 52 which is Main Street in Mt. Airy, NC. Take Main Street a few miles and then turn right onto Pine Street where the rec center is. Stop in Flat Rock Community to gas up; gas is a little cheaper there because Virginia is only 6, 10, something miles away. Gas is cheaper in Virginia, but there are no pumps on the route that I take up the mountain. 

Right after the Virginia state line sign, I take a left onto Unity Church Road. I love that road. And now it has a new blacktop. . There is a statue of a donkey at the edge of a field as one gets close to the top. Someday I might take a snapshot of that donkey. At the stop sign I continue straight onto Squirrel Spur Road which is quite curvy as most mountain roads are  

There's a little house toward the top of Squirrel Spur that interest me. Every time I pass it, I look for a 'for sale' sign. I've been looking for that sign for a couple decades now. Even if it does appear, I doubt we could afford a second house. Hell, I can't take care of the house we live in now, so it's probably just wishful thinking.

I continue on Squirrel Spur until I pass Terry's Mill Road. The next road to the left after Terry's is the one I take to the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP). It's only 100 feet or less short. I turn left, then turn right and drive north on the BRP toward Meadows of Dan where I sometimes stop for a pee and food break and to visit folks at the Poor Farmers Market Country Store and Deli. But I haven't stopped there my last two trips. I didn't feel much like visiting humans, except for the few conversations I might have with any folks at overlooks or on the trail. Plus, I'd brought all the food and beverage I'd need with me from home. 

Once on the BRP I drive another 15 or so miles to The Saddle overlook. How many times have I visited The Saddle? At least dozens. I even spent the night there once and was an audience of one to a spectacular heavenly, meteor shower. Click here for a poem about that night.

Since it's now after Memorial Day, bathrooms are open along the BRP, which is nice. When the bathrooms are closed, I use the green-leaves restroom (you know, relieve oneself in the woods). I know hidden spots at various trails and overlooks where I can use the green-leaf facilities. Thursday, I stopped at Rocky Knob picnic area to use the facilities; the restrooms were open. The picnic area is sometimes a good spot to sight bear. There were no people, except for me, and no bears. I was a little surprised that there were hardly any humans on the BRP, or even on the roads on the way up. 

The wind was whipping. I loved it. I prayed that the wind would take my grief and alchemize it into gratitude. That partly happened, but I still feel grief and probably will for a bit. 

Once at The Saddle Overlook, I donned my sweatshirt. The air was chilly, probably mid-60s. I knew once on the trail in the woods I'd warm up, which I did. So I pulled my arms out of the sweatshirt sleeves and positioned the sleeves over my shoulders. It was pretty comfortable.

I made my way up the short distance (.25 miles) to the old shelter. This trail was once part of the Appalachian Trail before it was rerouted. I'm not sure when it was rerouted. A little beyond the shelter is a nice spot that overlooks the mountains. I sat drinking in the view and the hawks that circled below the clouds...

A few of the pics...

Unity Church Road



If I had a wingsuit...


I'd join in the flight


I got home around 9:15 pm; the latest I've stayed out in over a year...
I felt the sacred night envelope me and rock me, like in a cradle...
The next morning, at home, one of my favorite songs played...
And I howled to the unseen moon...


"...Go and sing to the mountain
Go and sing to the moon
Go and sing to just about everything
'Cause everything is you

Listen to the rhythm
Of your heart play like a drum
Listen to the night call
Singing songs from all around

And let your voice go
Let it pierce through your soul
And let your voice go
Let it pierce through your soul..."