July 10, 2024

Church of the Frescoes: West Jefferson

Since June 20th, I have visited two more churches along the North Carolina Fresco Trail. One of these, St. Mary's Episcopal in West Jefferson, I have visited two different times. One time solo on June 20th, and one time with Hubby on June 22nd.

Each trip has been deeply moving and magical. The drives and stops along the way, the wildlife and nature, the few folks I/we met, and encounters with the sacred art-masterpieces and the history behind them. 

I am retemorizing (to retain by memorizing) scripture again, scriptures that comfort me or give me strength, scriptures that remind me of what is real in my life. Does that mean I have reconverted to Christianity? I guess it depends on one's interpretation of what Christianity means. 
  • I do not believe that the Bible, even as originally written, is without error. I believe it was written by humans as records of their lives, experiences, visions, sufferings, triumphs, beliefs, and hopes. 
  • If Jesus' offering, execution, and resurrection are factual, then I take the position that Jesus paid the full price for every human and that all will enter those pearly gates someday. It (God's salvation via Christ, if factual) is THAT BIG; salvation is not by any work or human endeavor. And believing takes work. 
  • I prefer the word "Spirit" to the word "God." I don't think of Spirit as a heavenly father, necessarily. But rather a companion, maybe? It's more like a force or energy, and it is personal. Beyond, within, surrounding any life (and even inanimates) there is a force or energy at its core. Will humankind ever invent a means by which that force can be measured? I don't think so; there are things that cannot be measured by us but can be experienced.
  •  I think many works of man are inspired by Spirit; these inspired works are not just limited to Bible believers. Spirit is not revealed in just one book.
  • If God/Spirit does not exist, that's okay. I still find comfort in fixing my eyes on that which is not seen (as stated in II Corinthians 4:18). 
  • I do not believe in a God who inhumanely punishes, such as a place of torment in a burning hell.
That's enough for now...
Maybe I'll add more to the list later...

~*~

On the trips to West Jefferson each time, I/we visited Mount Jefferson State Natural Area for a short hike and to eat our carry-along food and snacks. Again, there were very few humans, and the ones I/we met seemed to be good folks including some bikers from The Phoenix Motorcycle Club which "promotes sane, sober, and safe motorcycling, to provide assistance and information to those who wish to conquer the slavery of addiction and to carry the message to the addict who still suffers." "Phoenix" does not refer to the city in Arizona, but rather the mythical bird who rises from the ashes.  

Below are pictures from St. Mary's in West Jefferson from my solo trip on June 20, the day of the summer solstice. I was alone in the chapel and tickled the ivories on the baby grand, which inspired a purchase for our home which I may blog about later. Please note that I am very aware that some (most?) of my pictures are blurry. I am not a photographer, and all my pictures are taken with an old SE iPhone. Not to mention that my hands often tremble when holding the phone to click a pic. 

1. The model for Mary was the artist's (Benjamin F. Long IV) first fresco in North Carolina after his return from Italy. Long's wife, who was pregnant at the time, was the model for Mary, except for Mary's face. The model for Mary's face was an anonymous mountain girl. Long chose to depict a solar eclipse for several reasons. 

2. In the fresco of John the Baptist, a small bumblebee is frescoed in the lower right corner. A bumblebee was flying around as the artists were working on the fresco; somewhat of a nuisance it was. Long wanted to memorialize that bee. What better place than in the fresco of the man who ate locusts and wild honey. 

3. I am not fond of pictures of Jesus' execution. But this one took my breath away. (These frescos in general take my breath away. Their depth and dimensions are lifelike.) What I like about this one is the background of Jesus in his resurrected and returning body. It's captivating and moving. Long does not usually sign his religious frescoes, but he did put his initials on the lower part of the cross.  

4. "The Laughing Christ" is a painting, not a fresco. Following is the story of this painting from a description that hangs beside the painting...

One Sunday morning in January of 1975, Father Stewart did not come to conduct services at his Melbourne Beach, Florida church. He had had a serious brain-stem stroke, and doctors could give little encouragement for his recovery. Prayer vigils were set up near and far. Father Stewart suffered intensely for three days, then something extraordinary began to happen. Within a two-hour period, vital signs went back to normal. He thought our Lord was standing back of him at the head of his bed, laughing uproariously, like a man who has just caught that big bass, and not laughing at him but with him as the healing was taking place. The following Sunday the doctors dismissed him, and Father Stewart walked from the hospital with his family to the car. His doctors said, "Give God the glory." The young artist, Bo Bartlett, was sensitive to this miraculous healing and therefore we have the painting of "The Laughing Christ." 

5. A short video.

Mary with Child


John the Baptist
Bumblebee in lower righthand corner



The Crucifixion


"The Laughing Christ"
A painting by Bo Bartlett