November 4, 2011

Continuing to address some statements: DID, not dissociation

I doubt any readers of toss & ripple are much interested in my continuing to address some of Knapp's statements that he posted on the internet in August and September, 2011.

However, these additional snippets where I address some of Knapp's statements that were not addressed in my initial response page may continue to come off my keyboard. Some may accuse me of just keeping the crap Knapp stated alive. So be it. For me, it is still alive. That will not always be the case.

If Knapp would take reasonable and responsible accountability for any of his words and actions, I perhaps wouldn't feel as strongly about posting my responses.

So, skip this blog piece if you're not interested.

Thanks!
~carol
11/04/11

*******************

Another false (or at least mistaken) statement by John Knapp follows. Perhaps John just got mixed up, or perhaps Doug shared with him that it was simple dissociation that I stated was one of John's diagnoses in my conversation with Doug. Regardless, that's not what I shared with Doug.

Knapp's statement on his Facebook page thread about me, a thread which he has since apparently deleted, was:
Weirdly enough, one of the complaints Carol Welch leveled against me to Doug Mesner, one of my board of directors, was that I suffered from dissociation and depression. To which Doug sagely replied, "I know. We've talked about it a couple times." Apparently Carol Welch expected him to be shocked, shocked to hear I was human.

No, that's not what I told Doug Mesner.

In my phone conversation with Doug around March, 2011, I asked Doug if he knew that Knapp had been diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder (DID). DID is different from simple dissociation and is controversial as a diagnosis. DID used to be called multiple personality disorder.

Doug responded that he knew John had trouble in the past with dissociation. I shared that this diagnosis was current, at least as of June, 2010, and that it was dissociative identity disorder; not dissociation. Doug and I did not belabor the subject in our conversation.

To my recollection, Knapp's DID diagnosis was the only diagnosis I shared with Doug; the other challenges Knapp mentions online (depression, et al) that Knapp is challenged with were not pertinent in my conversation with Doug.

My conversation with Doug was not a gossip session. I shared what I did with Doug because Doug was a co-founder of the CHSCA and is involved with research regarding false memory syndrome and the like. I thought Doug should be (or at least would want to be) informed about what Knapp shared with me regarding Knapp's DID diagnosis.

As stated in "My statements addressing John M. Knapp's allegations & accusations," I never publicly stated anything about Knapp's DID diagnosis until after Knapp brought it up on the internet. Prior to that, for various reasons, I shared privately with a few certain parties Knapp's DID diagnosis that he shared with me via email on June 10, 2010. I never took it lightly when I revealed that to anyone.

Added note: Doug Mesner resigned from the CHSCA in September, 2011.
_____________________

No comments: