April 21, 2009

"Who Would You Be Without Your Story?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Who would you be without your story?"

That's a question I've read lately in regard to The Work of Byron Katie (BK).

I have never read any of BK's book; I don't know that I ever will. So what I state below is from a somewhat cursory web-searching overview of what I have read and watched regarding BK. I've read critics against and supporters of BK. I've watched some BK videos and read at least one BK interview.

I'll admit, she has a charismatic and drawing personality on stage. The interview I read was 'interesting' and somewhat bizarre.

Some of the BK approach seems meaningless, sounds like it goes in circles, and comes across as somewhat 'crazy making,' ie: calling things that are as though they aren't and vice versa. OTOH, some of it is helpful such as the importance of our perceptions on our health and wellness and the importance of questioning our thoughts.

When I first read the question that is the title of this post, my answer was, "I'd be nobody." That is still my answer to the question. That is who a person is: their story. Without one's story life is intangible and meaningless. IMO, one's story is to be felt, to be embraced, to be fully honored. As individuals we then decide how to embrace, honor, and relate to our stories in a healthful manner. Hopefully we give that same respect to others. Our stories are what makes life rich.

Perhaps what BK means by her question is, "Who would you be without believing your every perception?" Hopefully few people fall into that category. Or perhaps she means, "Who would you be without believing your perceptions?" That makes the question a little more answerable and palatable; leaving out the word 'every' makes it less of an all-or-nothing question. (That's another thing about BK's approach that doesn't sit well with me; it comes across as all-or-nothing and absolute. )

I'm intrigued at my own self, pondering this question posed by the BK approach to 'thought-reform', in a broad sense of the word (I think?). Perhaps my interest lies in my own experiences of group think and in learning again what and who my self really is.

&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&

Janaki was a close associate of Byron Katie for 12 years and helped open up Europe to BK's work. Here is Janaki's story: Byron Katie & Janaki
(As of mid-January, 2010, Janaki decided to delete her story. However the link gives an email address where one can contact Janaki.)

Realization.org ~ An interview with BK

Discussions regarding BK and The Work:
Rick Ross Forum:  Byron Katie (The Work) and Eckhart Tolle Legit???
Guruphiliac Forum:  Byron Katie - Is The Work a destructive cult?
dhammaleaves: Critique of Byron Katie

Byron Katie International's official site and forum:
Official Site: The Work of Byron Katie
Discussion Forums:  The Institute for the Work
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. That's right. Your story is infact your 'personality'. Read: Who would you be without your personality?

Without it you'd be a non-personality, or an impersonal force or energy. You'd have no experience of individuality, only oneness. In that oneness you wouldn't think. You can't even imagine not thinking because you would need to think to imagine it. It's a mad theory. See impersonalism/buddhism.

Byron Katie is just not being direct about it.

oneperson said...

Hi anonymous...

I never did thank you for this comment. Apologies... :-)

I've taken up memoir in the last months and what a powerful approach...at least for me. I know it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

Point is, that memoir seems quite opposite of BK. Memoir is getting to the story so that it isn't embalmed, so to speak.

BK seems to talk about her story quite often.

Thanks for the comment.