April 24, 2009

Colorblind

**************************************************
I recall back around 1999 someone said to me, "I'm beginning to think that everyone outside The Way Ministry is possessed." This was an understandable statement for anyone who had been listening to the President of The Way shout and holler and clean up "the household" for more than a decade. I thought about the statement for a few minutes and even considered it. (*gulp*sigh*)

Then I responded, "I just can't go there in my mind. I cannot witness in love to someone while I sit there in judgment of them, thinking evil of them." I recall somewhere along the way (ha!) asking God to not allow me to become so very judgmental or bitter that I forget my own inadequacies. Did I (become that judgmental or bitter)? I'm sure I did in certain areas, and probably still do.

Recently I read a mirror statement from folks who have left The Way. Statements such as every adult in The Way is an abuser, a drone, asleep. When people determine such, especially after once having been involved in a group, I find it just as arrogant....to state that followers are abusers and drones and such, or willfully ignorant (as stated elsewhere).

Perhaps when people make such statements we are simply venting and don't really believe such blanket/all-or-nothing/black-white statements and labels.

Or perhaps I'm still blind in those areas, though I don't think I am.

In some areas I'm sure I'm blind or colorblind; I think we all are. Hopefully as we educate ourselves and weigh various information we begin to see more light; not to mention the exquisite array of colors.

***********************************

(btw: I'm not saying we shouldn't make judgments, but I do think it's important to remain open to other possibilities, to empathy, and to understanding. )

*****************************************

No comments: