January 10, 2010

entry - house dreams

I feel dry.  Nothing to write of.  Yet images continue to run through my mind.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dreams.  I so often night-dream of houses.  A recent dream was of "The Kaleidoscope Theatre", as it was called in my dream, a huge building like the giant First Baptist Church that takes up a city block in downtown Hickory in North Carolina.  Or better yet, like the ostentatious pink Cinderella-looking church in Charlotte which a driver can't help but see.  I wonder if anyone has had a fender-bender due to its distraction?

Except the "The Kaleidoscope" wasn't a church at all; it was an architectural maze.

On one end of The Kaleidoscope was The Branch Restaurant with a lobby ceiling that was at least eight stories high. Six giant twisted fabric vines, about two feet each in diameter, hung from the ceiling and hid the ceiling with their fabric foliage.  These vines turned into stairs that attached to the floor of the Branch Restaurant lobby.

The mystery was that it was impossible to climb up the vines, though one could climb down the vines. A comrade and I tried to climb up the vines, but abandoned the attempt.  The vines kept turning and twisting making ascent impossible.  Instead we exited the building via the giant front lobby doors to discover that this building was not simply one building, but street blocks of buildings stacked one against another, not vertically, but horizontally, with tiny entrances to separate abodes. Entrances so small, one had to squeeze to get through. Yet once inside colorful huge rooms with endless connections were everywhere. Huge interiors of houses, each house with a name such as Cherry Red and  Red Candy, all within this architectural monstrosity.  Dwellers of the homes had no idea their dwelling was connected to other dwellings, for us dwellers never went outside.

That is until I began to explore, going from one room in our home to another. It seems I started out with other family members, but they eventually dropped out of the journey. The comrade, whom I met in The Branch lobby after my decent down a vine, was a dweller from another attached home.

The vines of The Branch Restaurant connected to an octagonal-shaped hallway some eight stories up from the lobby floor. Since the ceiling wasn't visible from the lobby floor, neither was the octagon.  Along the hallway, doorways, with names written above them, led to the various houses.  Hours earlier, while exploring my home dwelling with its endless colorful gigantic rooms, I had ended my long journey coming out of the door labeled Cherry Red.  That's when I had discovered the vines and grappled down one of them to the stairs and then to The Branch lobby floor where I met the comrade. We exited the building through the lobby door and discovered another world.

This dream was a first, the array of houses connected to The Branch, an elegant restaurant. Though the houses in my numerous night-dreams are mostly complex and huge, I don't recall dreaming of one of this magnitude.

I think my various house dreams signify my life.  For years I lived in the dingy part of my house dreams; a section of the house that was gray and dirty and needed lots of cleaning that was endless. I knew there were other parts to whatever house I was dreaming about, but I could only envision those parts.  In my dreams I eventually ventured in to visit the lush areas.  Recently I've even lived in the nicer areas of the house.

"The Kaleidoscope Theatre." Perhaps there is much more to discover and scribble than I realize.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

No comments: