April 19, 2011

Puppets and the Canadian Bear

I'm not sure what to write or if to write tonight.

Yet here I sit at my keyboard, laptop on the top of my lap, my legs stretched out as they rest on the recliner, Criminal Minds on a mute screen.

"Do I write a poem? Do I write about my week this past week? Do I write about dogs?"

Dogs. I smile.

In less than two weeks I will fully acquire a pet-sitting service. I've been diligently training the last few weeks, meeting the clients and their critter companions. Learning the various quirks of the different pets.

Quirks. Pets. People.

Quirkisms often bring me a chuckle. Life wouldn't be nearly as fascinating if we all liked the same food, dressed the same way, had the same sense of humor....and on and on.

When I was out backpaking part of the Appalachian Trail last year, two of the thru-hikers I met had a saying. "Mile quota down; smile quota up," as they both smiled and 'clinked' their plastic soda bottles. I doubt I'll ever forget that saying...or the scene.

I was sitting on an orange bear box at the time. I'd been on the trail I don't know how many miles, 30 maybe? Inside the bear box was a cooler filled with ice, cold drinks, and candy bars. Next to the cooler was a tool chest that was packed with baked goods and Little Debbie's oatmeal cream cookies. "Trail angels" kept the bear box stocked...for the backpackers. It's called a bear box because it's designed so bears can't get into the stash, but humans can.

The quote came from two young men, probably in their early 20s. They had quit trying to clip away 20 miles a day and instead had decided to enjoy the ride...or rather, the hike. They were still getting lots of miles in, but had become more focused on the process than how many miles they could backpack per day. The AT is some 2137 miles for thru hikers, so one does need to keep a decent pace to get to Maine before fall sets in.

Quirks. Pets. People. Critters. Hikers. Folks.

I think of Sesame Street and Pooh's 100-Acre Wood with their array of characters and quirkisms. Not too different from life in the "real" world.

Winnie-the-Pooh hails from Canada. And of course, Sesame Street is a world of famous puppets.

*********************

No comments: