April 1, 2011

~ant farms & consciousness~

I sometimes imagine the universe having a consciousness and it looks upon the earth and watches. All the cars, the people, the movement of life. The busy-ness.

Joy. Laughter. Grief. Death. Birth.

Cycles.

Yesterday as I was walking Buddy (a dog of a Chow-mix breed) for the first time, I had to be keenly attune to our surroundings. Buddy is sensitive to bicycle wheels, loud noises, people - especially those wearing hoodies, and other dogs. Poor Bud has a criminal record; he killed a dog once. Apparently, due to the circumstances surrounding the death, Bud was given another chance. He's kind and wonderful, as long as he knows you. I imagine Bud is a great watch dog to have around.

Bud came to his current owner via a rescue in Florida. I don't know what his life was like before he was rescued.

I guess some people believe that the universe has an awareness, a consciousness. Perhaps it does, in a sense. When you combine all the living creatures milling about or sleeping and dreaming, that's a lot of consciousnesses. It's never quiet or completely still. And that only includes the earth, not the universe.

I think of an ant farm. They are fascinating to watch as they build their tunnels and make various rooms at the end of certain tunnels. If I recall correctly, ants even have a type of burial room.

I don't think the ants are aware when one of us big people is watching them carry out their labor of life.

It helps my perspective to think large - like the universe observing us two-legged creatures.

I recall when I was hiking sometime last summer as I looked out over the vista and into the valley where cows grazed, I felt a deep satisfaction with life - that if I were to die at that moment, I'd die happy. I still feel that way for the most part.

In an instant, unforeseen circumstances can change life dramatically.

My son reminds me from time to time that it's a dangerous business going out your front door.

********************

No comments: