March 30, 2011

The Center for Healing Spiritual and Cultic Abuse - One year in the making?

Earlier tonight I read the following quote from one of the "notes" posted on the Facebook page for The Center for Healing Spiritual and Cultic Abuse (link defunct as of October, 2011). John M. Knapp, LMSW and founder/executive director, states (italics mine):

"It may have taken almost exactly a year, but our new nonprofit, The Center for Healing Spiritual and Cultic Abuse, http://theCHSCA.org/, is now up and running."

The above quote is stated in a post dated March 22, 2011. Almost exactly a year would then be March 22, 2010.

When John Knapp first brought up the idea of a nonprofit with me on May 08, 2010, he stated in a private email to me that he had not run his idea by anyone else. Shortly afterward, he shared with me that he was thinking of calling the organization something like The Knapp Center for Healing.

By the end of May, I had decided to volunteer accepting John's proposal for me to act as a type of editor-in-chief for the up and coming, still formulating nonprofit.

On August 2, 2010, due to certain circumstances, I resigned from my positions of administrator and moderator on a separate discussion board John owned(owns)[corresponding with my nonprofit position]. At that time, John shut down that online discussion board (which as of February, 2011, was reactivated) and stated (among other things) in a private email to me, "Wow was this all a mistake. But I've made them before. I'll think about what went wrong here, rest a bit, and then start again." Within 13 hours after that email, John cut off all contact with me.

In November, 2010, I learned that the name of the then developing organization was going to be The Center for Spiritual and Cultic Abuse (CSCA). Apparently, sometime after mid-November, 2010, the name was changed to The Center for Healing Spiritual and Cutlic Abuse (CHSCA)

All that to say, I'm not sure where John Knapp gets "that it has taken almost exactly a year" for "our new non-profit" to be "up and running." I'm not referring to the name changes, but the actual one-year development.

Perhaps John got his "M" months mixed up - March and May? But really, is even May correct? Perhaps he had brought the nonprofit idea up with others and had simply forgotten that. But then, his Facebook quote states, "it may have taken," not "it took." The joy of semantics.

Regardless, the statement kind of reminds of The Way claiming their founding date as 1942 with Victor Paul Wierwille's Vesper Chimes radio show. Actually Wierwille didn't establish The Way until 1955, two years before he resigned from the Evangelical and Reformed Church in 1957.

A small detail in the scheme of things. I just kind of wonder, along with other ponderings, why folks make certain claims like that?

Then again, the initial thought of an idea is the beginning point of formulation.

***********************
_________________________

Note: See this post for my retraction of previous endorsements of John M. Knapp. To access an ongoing index, click here and scroll down to the section entitled June 26, 2011.
______________________

4 comments:

... Zoe ~ said...

I think you dated a couple of your dates in 2011 and they should be 2010?

oneperson said...

Thanks Zoe!

I'm sitting here chuckling at myself writing a blog post harping about dates in which I got the dates wrong. :-D

Either that...or maybe I'm a prophetess predicting the future. (NOT!!) ;-)

Thanks again,
~carol

oneperson said...

PS...I corrected them. ;)

... Zoe ~ said...

You're welcome. I'd want someone to point it out to me if it was me. :-)