August 10, 2011

Augusts

I feel I need to write. Will I click "publish post?" I won't know until the end of the ramble.

The month of August.

My mother's birthday is this month. She was born August 4, 1925, and died January 31, 2009.

I don't recall the year of my father's birth, but his birthday is August 18. He died in February, 1996, on a Friday. I think it was in February. I know it was a Friday; I was to attend the first session of The Way's then new foundational class that night. The session was postponed due to a snow storm. My father was around 73(?) when he died. So he must have been born around 1923. He lived as a quadriplegic the last 13 years of his life.

My son's birthday is coming up on August 14. He will be 21 this year.

What was I doing at 21 years old? That would have been August, 1980, the beginning of my interim year of the 10th Way Corps. That August, I worked Children's Camp for Corps Week at The Way College in Indiana. I then went to the Rock of Ages, the 5-day then annual festival of The Way where we welcomed home the Word Over the World (WOW) Ambassadors from the previous year and celebrated the commissioning of the new WOW Ambassadors for the current year; years running from August to August.

I went out WOW that year of 1980. It was my second time going WOW and was my interim year Way Corps assignment. I was a WOW team coordinator and was sent to Torrington, Connecticut. I left "the WOW field" in AWOL fashion in October that same year. The shame of that action haunted me for decades, and still haunts me at times. I broke my vow, a most heinous action, especially for Way Corps.

August, 1981, I found myself in a Way Home in Cleveland, Ohio, starting The Way Corps all over again with my second apprenticeship year. I developed asthma at that time, around September, 1981. My last bout with severe asthma attacks was January, 1999. I still use an inhaler on a somewhat regular basis, but have no severe attacks anymore. I hope I never do again.

August, 2009, is when "Ria" came to our home and ended up staying for seven weeks. I've written very little about that experience. It was a roller coaster ride, and an odd one, culminating in October, 2009, and me leaving my own home shaken with fear due to her final outburst. Previous to that outburst, I had told her she could stay with us awhile. That changed when she broke the dish and had yet another melt down, another one directed at me. At the time, I wondered if she suffered from DID. I had wanted to help; I failed I guess.

As much as I don't want to bring up the not-too-distant past experience with my ex-therapist, the culmination of that experience, happened in August, 2010. As silly as it may sound, not a day goes by as of yet that I don't think about that and still wonder how in god's name it ended up like it did. It's still difficult for me to believe and accept, and I get embarrassed at the impact it has had on me. I wish that weren't the case; I wish I had a switch to turn it off. Eventually it will drift into the memory vault of past "stuff." My typical grief and integration time period after something touches me deeply is two years. August 2 and 3, 2012, will mark two years.

2012, the year 'everyone' is waiting for with the grand date being 12/21/12. My husband's birthday is 12/22. I imagine we will celebrate it like any other birthday.

________________________________

Addendum: Dad died February 16, 1996.
________________________________

5 comments:

... Zoe ~ said...

I developed asthma during our conservative evangelical literal years. Interesting. Do you ever wonder if your body was trying to tell you something? I also had other serious health issues. I feel my essence, my being was dying...slowly being strangled, crushed and rotting because of my church experience. By the time I left the church I was truly wasting away in every sense of the word. :-(

Yesterday, I was just saying to my husband, the only months of the year that I don't have an emotional anniversary of sorts would be November and February. But this morning I realized, even those two months are taken. I can't go through the calendar and find any relief! Yikes.

April Galamin said...

Carol, I don't think you failed with the person you took in...you did help her with lodging & other needs. I think you have a big heart to do that!

((Zoe)), I too felt like I was dying inside staying in the bible cult. It was such an emotional time for me, I think the last 3 years I was in it, I cried every single day. Like inside I KNEW something was wrong...it took time, but I realized it was the oppression of the cult & leader that was effecting me. I felt pressure continuously, striving to live the perfect life of a "true believer" & all of the constant hoops to jump through, including mandatory church attendance...hell, the leader even had a "mandatory picnic"! for all church=cult members!

The threats of divine judgment by the preacher were terrifying, but inside I thought to myself that I would have to risk it because if I stayed my spirit would have been crushed & died.

I'm trying to find ME again & heal. These religious tyrants have no idea the damage they do to others...or maybe they enjoy the feeling of self righteousness while they look down on others & crush another persons spirit??

oneperson said...

Hey Zoe...

Wow...on the asthma. We seem to discover more in common.

It's a horrid illness (not that any illness is not awful). Unable to catch one's breath, drowning in one's own fluids, the asthma with a life of its own always lurking.

My body became my enemy; that's what I use to think. In reality though, it was trying to save me...in a sideways kind of way.

I sit here staring at the keyboard..with no words to relay the trauma of those years.

Sometimes I wonder how we (the family) made it through those years. Somehow we did and we are intact. Much to be grateful for.

***************

A big, "yes, definitely" regarding my body trying to tell me something; it was gasping for life. I know part of my illnesses were(are) brought on by emotional suppression. My subjective estimate is 60% to %75.

Auto-immune illnesses seemed to abound. I can't help but wonder how much is brought on by our driven culture and standards of perfectionism; not to mention the other relationships in life...including the oppression of the soul brought on by toxic religion and/or groups.

Those anniversaries - 'reflection' comes to mind. To look at them now, from a distance, peering into the mirror of the past. Some reflections still trigger inside panic; yet, I know I am safe now...at least for the most part.

Thank you for reading and commenting. Much gratitude...

To life,
~carol

oneperson said...

Thanks April...

As always. It's hard to think how I'd be doing right now without your cornfield to listen to me weeks on end. ;D (seriously)

That soul murder/suicide stuff is another horrid dis-ease. The "intangibility" of it, I think, makes it difficult for people who haven't experienced it to understand the depth of its impact and influence. I hope Marlene Winell's diagnosis of Religious Trauma Syndrome gets taken seriously in the field of psychology.

Yah...on the "Ria" episode. Looking back, I should have set boundaries from the get-go. For some reason, I allowed myself to become a type of punching bag in that relationship. I still can't look at it clearly. I think about it at least a couple times a month...pondering, reflective.

Then when the stay was turning into an indefinite time period, I stated to her we would need to meet with the family to discuss her staying longer. She said that emotionally she couldn't handle that, to meet with us. So, I let it slide. A couple weeks later was the final outburst that sent me shaking from my home.

I didn't set the boundaries; that part was my responsibility.

Hopefully I'm learning a bit better how to do that in life...blunderingly along the merry path. ;)

Much love and hugs all around,
~carol

oneperson said...

Ya'll's comments prompted me to finally post my 'wellness' story on my blog. Don't know why I've avoided doing that for so long.

Anyhoo, here's the link:
Healing the Soul ~ Healing the Body