August 29, 2011

Lover of the Roan

I had an awesome past few days playing on the Roan Highlands. A little bit of heaven on earth.

As I hiked with my 30 pounds on my back, over Jane Bald and toward the goats which are atop the balds to help control certain vegetation over growth, I spied a dog among the goats. The dog was running a bit with its fluffy white tail bouncing. And then I spied another.

I proclaimed aloud with only the goats and dogs and grasses and bees to hear me, "Harley dogs!" As a smile stretched from ear to ear atop the 6000-foot high mountain.

Harley is the name of a dog I've met and "conversed" with via Skype. He is a Great Pyrenees mix. The goat dogs upon the Roan Highlands must be Great Pyrenees; they looked liked Harley except they are all white.

I stopped at the fence where the goats are contained. One dog came close to the the thin-wired volted fence. Our eyes and smiles met, his tail a-wagging and then he bounded off to work shepherding the maybe 25 goats.

My heart warmed.

I turned around and drank in the view. An ocean of mountains as far as one can see and blue sky stretched as an open canopy, a few clouds as dancers in the blue.

I love you Blue Ridge.

The whisper not only in my heart, but also upon my lips.

And I do love her...the Blue Ridge.

3 comments:

... Zoe ~ said...

Oh my, I'm there just from what you wrote here and then I looked at the pictures. Breath-taking. Thanks for sharing your experience and those photos.

oneperson said...

Yeah, the photos are gorgeous.

Thanks again Zoe for reading & commenting.

You might enjoy the slide show of my canine Skype friend, Harley. He is a sweetie.

Harley's Page

... Zoe ~ said...

I love the one where he's in the back seat of the car and wearing sunglasses as well as the next one where he's running on the shore! :-)