September 15, 2013

Claim to Fame

In the past few days, a comment on toss & ripple brought to mind when my children were young and we found a baby squirrel whom we nurtured until he was adopted back by a momma squirrel. At the time, Dorothy Moore contacted me and asked if I'd write the lead article for the then-upcoming issue of the Moore Report International (MRI). It's my only claim to homeschooling fame. Ha.

I don't know how to scan things into my computer and currently don't feel like learning how, so I took a photo with my phone. Below is a the photo of the front cover of that issue of MRI. The photo in the 1995 article is of my daughter feeding Squirrely.


2 comments:

Anna Maria said...

Great Photo and story Carol! I mentioned the baby dove the grandkids found me to raise, but not the two blackbirds my baby daughter found me many decades ago after a rain storm on Easter Sunday blew them out of their nests. She came in crying and I had no choice but to try, they didn't even have feathers on them yet. We put them in her Easter basket and I began feeding them bread soaked in milk and then graduated to baby food meat. They flourished and our German Shepherd used to carry them around in the basket and "seemed" to like them. After they began to fly, I hung the basket in the front yard in a tree in hopes they would learn to fend for themselves, but they kept flying to my head wanting me to feed them and I would bring them in and do it. They also rode around on the back of the dog sometimes and he didn't "seem" to mind.

Then one rainy morning I walked out and they flew to me as usual and I brought them in but wouldn't let the dog in because his feet were muddy. I later went out in the open garage and found them both squashed flat and our dog looking mighty guilty. Everyone was mad at him for awhile and I'm sure he knew why.

A survival story with a sad ending I'm not sure what the moral of is. Bust your butt to please your children, wild birds, and normally good natured dogs, and you still make mistakes. Hum. :(

oneperson said...

Great account Anna! What great images you paint.

Your Shepherd sure made his presence known! Our animal companions have a way of letting us know when they aren't pleased.

Ha...about the moral of the story.