September 25, 2013

The WOW Handbook: "What is expected of WOW Ambassadors?"

"Natural leadership ability" was one of the written qualifications to enter The Way Corps - a commitment to a "lifetime of Christian service."

"Natural leadership ability" was not one of the written qualifications to volunteer as a Word Over the World Ambassador. "Word Over the World," "W.O.W." - that was our goal. Each one reach one.

What were some of the qualifications to go WOW?
  • A heart to serve and obey the Word.
  • Must be a graduate of the Power for Abundant Living class.
  • Sign the blue WOW registration card.
  • Submit a short essay about why I want to be a WOW.
  • Attend WOW training.
  • Bring with me to commissioning and onto the field a certain amount of cash. (Was it $300? I can't recall now.)

A WOW Ambassador made an out-and-out commitment to serve for one year on "special assignment" in the area to which the volunteer was assigned by Way International leadership, a commitment to work a part-time job at least 20 hours per week but no more than 35, a commitment to witness the Word at least 40 hours per week, a commitment to perform the "five basics," a commitment to abide by the guidelines outlined in the WOW handbook.

The "five basics" included reading the Word daily, speaking the Word daily, abundant sharing of time and finances weekly, speaking in tongues daily, and fellowshipping with like-minded believers daily. I thought the "five basics" were a no-fail system. As long as I did the five basics, I couldn't fail. God had to honor the five basics.

What were some other expectations of a WOW?
  • Up by, not at, 7 AM and in bed no later than midnight each day.
  • Each morning spend at least 30 minutes privately and personally reading the Word and speaking in tongues.
  • Attend and be intent in the WOW family meeting each day.
  • Dress and present myself in a manner that is acceptable to the general community where I have been assigned.
  • Marital status remains the same for the one year. Married couples cannot get pregnant.
  • Each week, take off one day from my secular job and from witnessing.

In my 1980-81 WOW handbook, I recorded personal notes. Listed below are a few of those notes from the page entitled "What is expected of WOW Ambassadors," :

These principles are things to achieve - goals.
I decide as a coordinator to do God's will (these principles) and I will (we will) be like Daniel 1:15, 18-20.
Just do these and the pressure will be taken off me.
"Make these things law." ~V. Finnegan
If I am counseling all the time, I am doing something wrong [and] my focus is not on my WOW commitment.
If you have a need, witness.
These are not guidelines to condemn ourselves.
No pregnant mothers. Ask my married couples what kind of birth control they are using.


The 'Ministry' year was 1980-81. I was 21 years old. I had been commissioned as a Word Over the World (WOW) Ambassador to serve for one year in Torrington, Connecticut.

*~*~
My blog entries about The WOW Handbook
*~*~

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy shit. Torrington?!
That's closer to home than I ever would have imagined.

Your story continues to amaze me.


-Amanda

oneperson said...

It's pretty country up yonder.

I actually worked in MA which was only about 7(?) miles from where I lived in Torrington. I didn't have a car, so hitch hiked to and from work most of the time.

Thanks for reading Amanda. Your story is another a-maze-ment.

<3

Anonymous said...

I was a WOW in Chicago that same year...the year of the Outreach Cities. Was Torington a suburb of a larger city?

SP

oneperson said...

Hey SP!

No, Torrington was not a suburb of a larger city. Torrington was kind of like Lenoir...except in New England. Ha.

We were sent as a team - two families.

My family consisted of 5 people - 3 girls and 2 guys.
The other family consisted of a married couple with a toddler who were apprentice Corps, and two guys.

As you probably remember, I left the field...which still bothers me - I mean that I broke my word and left those WOWs. But, they got along fine without me.

As you may recall, In 2007 I reconnected with one of the guys from the other family. He lives in Greensboro. He has filled me in on what happened after I left. [Hmm...he and I are going to get together for a meal soon. I think I'll have him retell some of those stories to refresh my memory...if he feels like it. ;-) ]

oneperson said...

@ Amanda...

I am mistaken. I just looked up the town I hitchhiked to for work, and it is in CT, not MA. I worked in Winsted, CT, for a dentist. I just googled him. Interesting.

oneperson said...

When I left the field in October, I hitchhiked to NC. Looking at a map, I must have thumbed down Hwy. 8 maybe? About all I recall is that I came out our house and walked to the left, trying to get out of town without anyone seeing me. I think all I had was some sort of tote bag or purse. Anyway, I walked left out of the house and then took a right..that's about all I remember. That and one trucker who picked me up. He was concerned for my safety and gave me a long haul to VA, if I remember correctly.