November 23, 2015

Present pleasant memories...

I wish I could remember when I began riding my bike on a regular basis and when I discovered that I could! It was a new taste of freedom. Maybe I'll come across the date, or close to it, as I review some of my past written and typed ramblings.

This morning, as I reread the following ramble and then drank in the photo of the Roan with my grandpup Yerba, just staring at it, remembering that very day which I recall well, my body in the present just crumpled at the thought of hiking that expanse now. Instead of that reality causing me discouragement, it made me laugh! That's a good sign! :D Especially since I woke up so blue this morning.

Yes, I may never again be able to hike the Roan Highlands. But I was able to in the past, and I have that memory in the present to help lighten the burdens of life, a bit.

And maybe, with a little (or lot of) luck, I will be able to hike it again someday.

Until then, I'll keep on biking. At least in the warmer months. Not sure about the cold months yet. So far, biking-in-the-cold is not my cup of tea.

Interesting how memory of a past event is in the present. And in the next instant, that present becomes the past and a memory for a future present.

***

From the archives:

September 22, 2014

I love riding my bike along the Greenway.
I am addicted...and it is good.

I drink in the...
breeze
sunshine
aromas
wildlife...

and freedom.

My legs and feet turn the wheels round and round propelling me forward.
My senses take in the grandeur of the moment.
Any pain I have at those moments, goes by with nary a notice.

I am reminded of the hills and mountains that I love so deeply.
And my heart sings.

I picture the highland balds of Roan and of Grayson.
And my heart soars.

I recall backpackers and hikers I've met in the past along the trail.
And my heart warms.

I imagine climbing rough terrain, conversing with other backpackers, setting up camp for the night.
And my heart wonders.

Another world, a world in which I feel at home.
A world where I feel I fit.

And I think....
Maybe. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe someday I'll be able to hike long distances again. But, if I never make it by foot alone to Mt. Katahdin, I'll at least take a visit by vehicle someday. 

~grandpup yerba along the roan highlands, 2010~


~salem lake trail, near peterson benches, 2014~



~my bike, olivia, 2014~


No comments: