April 26, 2018

A sign on a pole

In my previous post I shared that I started a new blog. I'd thought about it for a couple months. I think my goal of biking the Neuse River Trail in Raleigh prompted me to actually take action and start the blog. The Neuse River goal came about as I was researching the East Coast Greenway and its path through North Carolina.

I learned about the East Coast Greenway while biking the American Tobacco Trail in February. I cycled passed a post with a sign attached that read "East Coast Greenway."

After a moment, like a delayed after-thought, my thunker bubbled, East Coast Greenway. East Coast Greenway. What is the East Coast Greenway?

I took a u-ey and cycled back to the pole and read the small print, "Linking Cities ... Florida to Maine ... Greenway.org"

Wow. Wow. Maybe I can't hike the Appalachian Trail, but I can bike. What if? What if....

I'll have to google this later after my ride.

I clicked a picture of the sign with my iPhone.

Simultaneously two women were walking by; one pushed a stroller carrying a young child. The women looked to be Mother and Grandmother.

We exchanged pleasantries. Then I asked, "Do you know anything about this East Coast Greenway?"

"Nothing more than the sign - a route that goes up the East coast from Florida to Maine."

I shared a bit of my enthusiasm about this discovery. We exchanged some chit-chat and said our good-byes. They continued their walk as I continued in pause, mesmerized at the possibility of section-biking this new-to-me East Coast Greenway.

After a couple minutes, I texted the family with the picture I'd taken.

Look what I just found!
East Coast Greenway goes from Florida to Maine.
I feel like Toad.


They knew my exact reference - Toad's "motoh cah" discovery.

We were (and still are) Thaddeus Toad fans.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am a Thaddeus Toad fan. I still call Lisa "Toad" most of the time when we are alone. It is a nickname she earned as we were driving up in her red VW to Wilson's Creek four decades ago. She was all over the road...completely sober. I told her about Mr. Toad and his motorcar and crazy driving. She had not read WIND IN THE WILLOWS before ... and actually, I had not either until the previous semester at UNC when it was one of the required books in my Kiddie Lit class.

SP

oneperson said...

Lol.
We still have a VHS cartoon. We never tired of it when the kids were little and it still comes up in conversation. Josh knows all the words to "merrily, merrily" and some quotes from Toad. :D He and I just recently discussed Toad as I accompanied him part way to a rendezvous for him to catch his flight to Alaska.

Ironically on the last leg of his flight from Anchorage to Dillingham, the plane had to turn around due to mechanical difficulty. It's a small plane that seats 22 passengers. The airline put the passengers up in a hotel in Anchorage. They flew out the next day. It made me think of a Toad adventure. (Not to mention the small plane didn't have Josh's luggage on the first attempt. But apparently they had it on the next-day flight.)

Thanks for the chuckle SP!
:)