April 11, 2009

Seeking Life Along The Way [Part 1]

Introduction

(Click here to read about The Way)

In 2007 and 2008, two to three years after leaving The Way, I wrote a narrative about my spiritual journey.

Between 2008 and 2016 I made some revisions, divided the narrative into three Parts, and added my health story (written in 2005) as an Addendum or Part Four. In 2017, I expanded the online narrative to include more detail and added links within the body to separate memoir pieces. In 2020, I began reworking the narrative for a personal project.

I use the past tense when describing The Way even though some of what I describe is still currently applicable to The Way.

It's a long read. But, in another sense, not. It covers over forty years.

I hope the narrative gives a glimpse (1) of some of the reasons folks join 'cults' or similar groups, (2) of consequences that can result from following authoritarian and elitist groups, and (3) that even decades-long true-believers can change.

I got involved with The Way International in September 1977, at the age of eighteen and exited 28 years later in October 2005, at the age of forty-six.

The journey continues...

______

Seeking: Life Along The Way [Part 1]

~*~
1960s - 1977: Why would anyone join a cult?
~*~

I wasn't raised with a specific church doctrine, but my family attended a Methodist Church and camp-meetings with some regularity in my younger years. From the age of eight and through my teen years I was fascinated with the supernatural reading books on UFOs, playing with Ouija boards, intrigued by witchcraft, and dabbling with astrology. I attended a Baptist revival with a friend when I was around ten; I remember going up for the altar call. Around eleven years old, I saw a movie about Nicky Cruz, The Cross and the Switchblade, which led me to read Cruz's book, Run Baby Run. Cruz's story made an impression on me; it seemed authentic as opposed to a religious facade. At twelve years old I attended a Methodist confirmation, but to my recollection never completed the requirements.

At thirteen years old I read the four gospels and concluded that Jesus Christ was the biggest egomaniac that ever walked. However, I did like the poetic flow of the gospel of John. I continued to read parts of the Bible during my early teens; my opinion didn't change. In the Old Testament I read about a vengeful God who annihilated people. Of the folks I talked with about the Bible, no one could satisfactorily explain the contradictions to me. I could argue most Bible believers into a corner, and for some reason I enjoyed it. Understandably I rejected the Bible as an ultimate authority but thought it contained some truth alongside other religions.

Also, at thirteen years of age I fell in love for the first time and gave my whole self, body and soul, to my young teenage lover. I craved attention and touch, to be wanted, and to please. I was involved with four such all-encompassing relationships between the ages of thirteen and eighteen. In the second of these relationships, I was a victim of physical abuse. I ended that relationship right at a year which coincided with the ninth and final hitting session; that time I fought back. At the time I did not reveal the physical abuse to anyone; I was embarrassed and didn't want people to think badly of him or me. He was a "jock" four years older than I; I was a cheerleader. I decided then to switch peer groups and to become friends with the "freaks."

In late spring, 1974, at fifteen years of age, I began experimenting with drugs. Three months later, I became romantically involved with one of the main high school drug dealers. We were never in short supply of mind-altering substances. In October 1974, we ate seeds from datura stramonium (Jimson weed). I lived a four-day sleepless nightmare filled with hellish hallucinations while strapped to a bed in ICU. My boyfriend was restrained with a straight jacket. Yet, even after the stramonium nightmare we continued experimentation with various kinds of hallucinogens -- LSD, windowpane, blotter acid, mescaline, MDA, and a few others. (Click here to read about datura stramonium. Click here to read a two-part series about my experience.)

But most of my psychedelic experiences caused me to feel at one with the universe, in harmony with all creation. However, as the months passed, the trips began to turn bad. The feeling of tripping lingered even without having dropped any acid. I became paranoid and withdrawn.

Needless to say, I had many thoughts of insanity. My saving thought was, If I was insane, I wouldn't know it. At that point, in desperation for my sanity after spending over a year in my chemically induced spiritual search, I quit experimenting with drugs and turned to Transcendental Meditation (TM).

In late summer, 1975, at sixteen years old, I got 100% involved with TM volunteering at the TM Center, assisting with classes and initiations, and planning to attend the Maharishi Mahesh University in Iowa after high school graduation. Within eight months of starting TM I broke the relationship with my dealer boyfriend. He got busted within a few months after our breakup.

A little over one year into TM, I met (my next) boyfriend (four years older than I) and moved in with him the summer before my senior year of high school. He was faithfully involved with a small Baptist Church. Yet, he smoked pot on an almost daily basis, and we cohabitated "living in sin" for ten months. Because I wanted to please him I dropped my involvement with TM and decided I'd try to believe the Baptist doctrine, which was difficult for me, especially the hell-fire teachings. Almost every Sunday, I found myself at the altar in tears of shame wondering if I was "saved."

We had wedding plans for June 1977, a few weeks after I graduated from high school. But in May I broke the engagement; I couldn't come to terms with belief in a God of damnation. I felt that for our marriage to work I had to believe. I was also struggling with mood swings, depression, and feelings of low self-worth.

I was eighteen years old. I felt driven to find "the truth," to discover God, to find my way "back to the garden."

~*~

Some may wonder about parental guidance through these years. For whatever reasons, I had few disciplinary boundaries while growing up. (Plus, it was the 1960s and '70s.) I also apparently developed some issues with abandonment. In the 1960's, Mom spent extended time as an in-patient for manic depression (now known as bipolar disorder). Dad was challenged with anger issues, possibly as a result from a brain injury due to a serious car wreck prior to starting the family. Like most of humanity, my parents were good people who went through some hard times handling life as best they could.

In 1961, when I was around two years old, our family moved from Daytona Beach, Florida, to the foothills of North Carolina. My parents lived in that NC home until their deaths, Dad in 1996 and Mom in 2009.

Looking back, I see that the familial and parental circumstances influenced choices I made in seeking elsewhere to fill certain unmet physical, emotional, and familial needs. Yet there were also rich times spent freely exploring nature and life. From the age of four and into my teen years, I spent most of my free time playing outside. From my mid-elementary years and up I was a latchkey kid. I am the youngest of three children.

Our neighborhood was full of kids. We rode bikes all over the place and played pick-up football, softball, and rollie-bat. I loved to run and played lots of tag, relays, and Sardines (a hide-and-seek game). We regularly camped outside in our yards or select places in the surrounding woods. We directed our own play; adults were seldom involved.

Our neighbor owned and boarded horses. The large pasture stretched behind our house. I fell in love with horses and rode almost daily until I was around thirteen years old. Sometimes I'd even go for a ride before school. I loved grooming horses and caring for them. My parents bought me my first pony when I was six years old. His name was Dynamite. I later owned Princess and then Black Eagle. I liked riding bareback and pretending I was a Navajo or Cherokee. Other times my horse-riding friend, Marie, and I would pack saddle bags and pretend we were explorers.

~*~

Shortly after the split from my fiancé in May 1977, I moved onto a farm with a hippy family who had moved to the North Carolina foothills from New York. I dabbled with Transcendental Meditation (again), the teachings of Ram Dass, yoga, and a group that followed The Aquarian Gospel of Jesus the Christ.

In July I visited a cousin with the intent purpose to accompany him to a Wicca gathering; Wiccans believe in witchery used for the good of humanity. My cousin ended up having to work. So, I spent the day with my aunt and accompanied her to a ladies' morning prayer group at a Charismatic Lutheran church. 

The term Charismatic refers not to a denomination, but rather a movement within Christianity which teaches that the nine so-called "gifts of the spirit" listed in I Corinthians, Chapter 12 of the Bible, are still in use in the modern Church, and that these so-called gifts are separately given by God to individual believers as God so chooses. The English word for "gifts" in I Corinthians 12 is translated from the Greek word charismata. Speaking in tongues, also called "praying in the spirit," is the dominant "gift," but not all Charismatics speak in tongues. The other eight "gifts" are interpretation of tongues, prophecy, word of knowledge, word of wisdom, discerning of spirits, faith, miracles, and healings. In some Charismatic gatherings, believers also dance and laugh and "get slain" in the spirit. The term "spirit-filled," indicates that a believer has received the "gift of tongues" and is open to God controlling her/his life.

At that meeting, I heard speaking in tongues for the first time. But instead of speaking, ladies were singing in tongues. Others with "the gift of interpretation" followed in kind - singing in English the interpretation of a tongue. The Baptist Church had taught me that speaking in tongues had ceased after the early years of the first-century Church and that any speaking in tongues since then was devilish.

But this didn't sound devilish at all. It was beautiful, angelic.

That day I was led into tongues and began to see a different side to the scriptures. Instead of a vengeful Bible God whose love I had to work for, I felt the presence of a loving God who had freed me, a spiritual Father who accepted me because His son had sacrificed his all for the whole world, and for me personally.

I returned to the farm and told my yoga-hippie friends that they didn't have to do all that meditation to be one with God, "Just believe on Jesus Christ and speak in tongues!"

I became engrossed in the scriptures, trying to understand and craving to comprehend the "breadth and length and depth and height," "to know the love of Christ," and to be "filled with all the fullness of God." I began reading and rereading Acts and the Pauline epistles, mainly Ephesians through Colossians.

Each Sunday, through the rest of the summer, I drove a three-hour round trip to attend services at the Charismatic church where I had been led into tongues - Resurrection Lutheran. The message at Resurrection was different from the message at Victory Baptist, the little church I'd attended just months earlier. Instead of hell-fire and judgement, the theme was love, grace, mercy, compassion, freedom. Not to mention, they had good music!

I was full of questions. I wanted to be able to reconcile at least a majority of the contradictions in the Bible. I thought, If I can learn Greek and get back to the original texts, then I can know what the Bible really says. I decided to attend college focusing on biblical studies with an interest in counseling. I also had interest in service work with either Volunteers in Service to America or The Peace Corps.

~*~

I chose a college that had "spirit-filled" connections, Montreat Anderson near Black Mountain, North Carolina, in the heart of Billy Graham country.

During my few months at Montreat I attended Montreat's Presbyterian Church services along with various flavors of Charismatic meetings in the local vicinity. However, the same insecurity and shame that I had experienced in the Baptist Church again haunted me. I couldn't seem to find satisfactory answers to my questions nor a remedy for my shame.

I became friends with some students at Montreat who were considered to be spiritually mature. We met regularly for prayer meetings. Talk went on qualifying who was spiritual enough to be allowed at these assemblies. Looking back, our gatherings mainly served to achieve an emotional high with some participants being slain in the spirit and speaking in tongues out loud and uncontrollably. During one of these sessions, I had to leave because I felt like I was tripping; I felt paranoid and dirty. I don't think I went to any more prayer sessions after that one.

Montreat would invite well-known Christian leaders to speak with the students. It was a small school, so students were able to personally meet and interact with the guests. Jackie Buckingham was one of those guests. She and her husband, Jamie, were personal friends with Nicky Cruz. Jamie was Nicky's co-author of Run Baby Run. As Jackie shared some of the miracle stories, my heart burned within me to know God and his power like she described.

On one occasion Ruth Graham visited the college campus. I attended a small gathering with about twenty young ladies and Mrs. Graham. We met in an informal living room setting attired with a few upholstered chairs for seating and the rest of us on the floor. It was very comfortable. I asked Mrs. Graham questions regarding speaking in tongues and the holy spirit field. Her answer was that she simply didn't know the answers. I thought to myself, If Ruth Graham doesn't know, who does?

Around this time is when I found The Way.

~*~

Fellowship meetings with The Way were tender and welcoming and didn't involve the frenzied, spirit-filled confusion I was experiencing at some of the Charismatic gatherings. At Way Fellowships I witnessed what I had read in sections of Acts and the Pauline epistles: all things common, decent and in order, fruit of the spirit, greeting with a holy kiss.

I enrolled and took The Way's Power for Abundant Living Foundational and Intermediate Classes, which were combined the first time I sat through "The Class." I drove a three-hour round trip, from Montreat to Hickory, for almost each of the fifteen sessions, though some sessions were combined over a few weekends.

For once I was getting answers to many of the questions that plagued me. Apparent contradictions in the Bible were explained. I learned that I was righteous before God and that I had "sonship rights." I began to "retemorize" King James scriptures repeating them over and over in my mind convincing my self of "the truth." I was finally learning God's will for my life. Jesus promised, "Seek and ye shall find." I had found it. Or so I thought.

~*~

Friends from the prayer group at Montreat warned me that The Way was a cult. I considered their words and read about The Way in cult literature. It appeared to me that those who claimed The Way was a cult based that conclusion mainly on the fact that The Way did not believe Jesus is God. Until shortly after starting college I never realized that Christians believed that Jesus is God. At the time I was stunned that anyone would think such a thing, that a man could be God. Therefore, the main thrust of The Way being a cult because it was non-trinitarian didn't concern me, much.

In my college Old Testament History Class I wrote an answer in response to an essay question on a test asking to compare Old Testament faith with New Testament faith. My essay was based on research from The Way. I received an A+ on that essay with a note from my professor, "Excellent research. I have questions about some of your findings." Having been warned The Way was a cult I felt too uncomfortable to ever approach the professor on the matter.

The prayer-group friends subjected me to a type of interrogation with an emphasis on the Trinity. We met in a small classroom. There were five of them and one of me. Four of them were standing with one at the chalkboard writing. I was seated. Their examination included questions, authoritarian proclamations, and accusations regarding The Way and its "devilish doctrines." I recall a couple of them raising their voices at me, I think in an attempt to wake me from what they considered my delusion and to save me from the "cult." I felt attacked, cross-examined, and scared.

Not long after that incident my college roommate, who suffered with mental illness, was found in the parking lot trying to pick sparkling diamonds out of the glitter in the pavement. She had also recently begun using the window instead of the door to exit and enter our college dorm room. The prayer-group friends, who had interrogated me, blamed me for tainting my roommate and causing her to get "possessed with demons," all because I was attending a Way Class and Fellowships. I was the only student at Montreat involved with The Way.

These were the people warning me that The Way was a cult? I guess it takes one to know one. Jesting aside, I believe these friends' intentions were good. But their approach, for obvious reasons, sent me running in the other direction.

~*~

I mailed a handwritten letter to *Dr. Wierwille, the founder and president of The Way, whom I had listened to for forty-five hours on audio tape as he taught the combined Foundational and Intermediate Classes. I shared with him what had happened with my prayer-group friends. I never expected to hear back. But I did. I received a typed letter in an envelope with a return address from "The Teacher" in New Knoxville, Ohio. He commended me for my stand and wrote, "When people throw dirt at God's Word, all they do is get their hands dirty."

I finished my first semester at Montreat College and then dropped out to study and serve with The Way.


[*Wierwille received his "doctorate" in 1948 from an unaccredited "seminary," Pikes Peak Bible Seminary, which was located in a house in Manitou Springs, CO. (Link)]

(Last revised June, 2018)

~*~

Click Part 2 below to continue.


13 comments:

Billy said...

"Fellowship meetings with the Way were tender and welcoming..." You generally don't hear something like that from ex-way people who want to warn of the dangers of the group. But it is one of the reasons people get so deeply involved and wind up, eventually, being abused or otherwise doing things against their nature. Of course there is nothing wrong with being tender and welcoming.The tragic thing, as I have mentioned before, is that the tenderness and the other good that people encounter has been at times used to justify the abuses that follow. When someone rambles on about how terrible everything was, I have to wonder what got them involved to start with. I think people got involved because they found what they saw as something wonderful, and that wonderful was turned against many.

oneperson said...

He Billy,

Yes, that is one of the main things that attracted me to The Way ~ the love felt in that Twig fellowship. At 18 years old, I thought that feeling was unique among a group of people. I've since learned otherwise, but it has taken awhile.

As the honeymoon years of The Way faded into monotony and divorce, that sweet love felt in the fellowships faded too. But some, like me, continued to hang on...sometimes playing the abuser and other times being the abused...and hoping things would change to "the way they used to be."

Thanks for taking time to read and comment. I hope you and yours are well.

~carol :)

Anna Maria said...

Your explaination is exceptionally well written, Carol. It reminds me so much of what I used to wonder about, in fear I was a sinner who had to confess my deepest "sinful" thoughts, and sometimes did in the "confessional." Only to be told that kind of "thinking" was a mortal sin, and given penance to blot it out...which it never did in my mind.

I believe self inflicted guilt trips a lot of religions heap on you affect you for the rest of your life and you must struggle to break free of those chains and find the peace the "real" God can give you.

On to the next chapter...you do keep me meshmerized with the way you write. ;)

oneperson said...

Those guilt trips are a trip, for sure.

When my son was around 13, I was having one of my guilt trips. He and I and my daughter (his sister, two years older than he) were eating lunch on the back porch. I shared with them how I felt guilty for wanting to go to Borders and journal.

My son invited me onto the back deck and took me for a little walk. When I asked him what we were doing, he replied: "We are going on a guilt trip, until your finished feeling guilty and can go to Borders and have fun."

Gotta love those kids! ;D

PS: Thank you for the kind words Anna. xoxo

oneperson said...

BTW: I of course wrote a memoir snippet about my son taking me on the "guilt trip". Ha!
Guilt Trip

Anonymous said...

Come on now, It's just you and the words you're reading right now. The person who wrote this isn't here, and won't even know if you read this. So it's just you and God right here, right now. Read Psalm 139 to see how much God is involved in your minute by minute life. It's actually very comforting to know that you are never alone.
You were once Very into God too! Now, not so much. God is still there, wishing above all things for you to Prosper and be in Health. You just need to do it His way, not yours.
The First step back to Him is Forgiveness. Sure you know deep in your heart that God has forgiven you, but You need to forgive you too!
The next step in Forgiveness is forgiving others. It's not a case by case, sin by sin kind of thing. It's a constant, "always on" frame of mind.
Past feelings, and old resentments are not part of the process here. Just shelve those feelings. Come back to them later and you'll see that they're just monsters made of paper and paint.
I know you have a Bible somewhere, go get it now and find Ephesians 4: 25-32, and Colossians 3: 12-17. These verses give you a foundation to re-tread your mind and begin to forgive.
God does not ask you to do something your not able to do.
Remember from Psalm 139, He knows you inside and out, better than you know yourself! He designed your mind to hold and think about His Word. As you read it, don't be surprised by the little "AH HA!" moments you'll have.
I wrote this note to you because I love you. I don't like to see you struggle in life without God.
A Great man once said "If there's no other like-minded believers you can stand with, then you have to stand alone."
Well, you don't have to stand alone any more!

oneperson said...

Hey Anonymous,

I assume the "great man" you refer to is VPW? I mean I recall him saying something along the lines of what you quoted, but he is known to have plagiarized. So I'm not sure if you might be referring to some other "great man."

Standing? I'd rather be hiking when I'm upright.

As far as some of your remarks in the rest of your comment, it appears that you are projecting...which we all do at times seeing as it's part of the human condition.

Also, do we know each other? (I can't think of anyone I know in Toledo. According to my statcounter, you posted from Toledo.)

To Life,
~carol

April G said...

Just reading of your experiences yet again Carol. I'm just so amazed that our paths have crossed.

I know what you mean about the love, or I suppose more "love bombing" of these types of groups. As abusive as the bible church I got involved in was, there was love, attention and friendship all directed at me. Of course that grew cold, was really just a ruse to get us to commit & become members of the "true church". *sigh*

Once we began to question and have doubts we really got in trouble and became the "enemy". I've learned a lot and I know you have too going through all you've been through, but dang!! I wish I had a "do-over" with a whole lot of my life! oh well.

Thanks for sharing and I love you!

oneperson said...

Love you too April!

Yes, I'd do quite a few things differently in my life. Probably quite a lot. I'm surprised when some folks refer to their pasts and state, "If I had to do my life over again, I wouldn't change a thing." My internal response (and sometimes external) is, "Really?"

That "love bombing" (what a term, eh?)....it can be a real mind warp. Some folks end up trusting others very little after such experiences. It can be a fine line, discerning genuine care from care with an agenda and expected payback. It's taken me some time, but I think I'm learning to trust again....allbeit, I am more selective and endeavor to listen more to my internal intuitive sense (which can be mistaken).

Thanks so much for your friendship!!!

xoxo

Denise said...

Anonymous said: "I know you have a Bible somewhere, go get it now and find Ephesians 4: 25-32, and Colossians 3: 12-17. These verses give you a foundation to re-tread your mind and begin to forgive."

Go get it now? Seriously? You little cowardly pervert. Get over yourself! LOL!!! Are you for real? Well, no. You're afraid to identify yourself, yet you feel empowered to command Carol. You are a joke! Oh, and you instruct her to forgive. I assume in lieu of exposing the truth of what the way is. You also command her to "re-tread" her mind. Re-tread? Like a tire? Just put a covering on the outside to hide the defects on the inside? Yeah, that's about right. Newsflash! If you've come to deceive people, your time will be best spent in greener pastures. There are no deceivers here. Just a beautiful woman who is honest enough to tell her story, who doesn't need your anonymous permission. You know what you can go do with yourself.

Denise said...

Beautiful writing! I can hardly wait for the next installment.

oneperson said...

Thanks Denise! You cause me a big chuckle. :D Well said!

And thanks for the kudos.

I just now reread Anonymous's comment. It'd been awhile. Rereading it, it comes across as condescending...with a good dose of assumptions.

oneperson said...

Thank you!

I've been working on Part 2 today. I think I have it tweaked now...until my next tweaking. lol