January 26, 2014

Lions & Piranhas

Earlier this evening as I pondered blog publishing which allows the world to peek in, I got an image of myself in a cave; in a cave with lions.

I was not protected in my cave; there was no gate at the entrance.
I had allowed the lions access...not by personal invitation, but rather by an open cave door.

The lions were all female; none had the beautiful male manes.
There were about five of them.

They prowled around the cave observing me.
I stood observing them.

It's like they were checking to see if I'd flinch or run; like they were checking my motive or my character.
Was I for real?
Was I genuine?
Did I have integrity?

No words were exchanged between myself and the possible predators.

Then they got bored and left.

Tonight, a few hours after my in-the-cave-with-lions heart-head image, I read the following from a blog post by Marta Szabo.
"...I guess that’s why many people are afraid to write probing memoir. They know the piranhas are out there. Piranhas don’t scare me though. And they certainly do not scare Ingrid Betancourt. That’s one reason why her book is so good."

I guess blogs are like caves with open entrances.

 Chauvet Cave Painting

7 comments:

Anna Maria said...

The mind is a wondrous thing Carol...I am not a dream interpreter but I would guess the female lions are symbolic of you looking at yourself though others eyes.

I read the blog about memoire writing and agree, when doing it you worry about what others will think.

I did for years...but got past it by accepting it was my life, as weird as I wrote it, and what others think really doesn't matter. It's what you think of yourself at the end of the last chapter.

You are as strong as a lioness Carol, it's obvious in your descriptive writing.

oneperson said...

*grrrowl* ;)

Thanks Anna!

. . . Zoe ~ said...

So true! I think to myself 'one of these days one of those prowling lions is going to be a real person you know and then the **** is going to hit the fan.' I must confess, I fear piranhas. More than that I also fear myself . . . I need my marbles.

oneperson said...

Hey Zoe!

I hear that. I admit I fear piranhas too.

Jon has a recent blog entry...similar along the same topic. Must be something in the stars. Ha.

Link to Jon's piece:
Henry Miller and writing

... Zoe ~ said...

I'll check out Jon's blog. I'm getting so far behind in my reading, even losing track of comments. AAACCCHH! I'm so glad Jon is still blogging. I see comments are not an option but I really do enjoy his blogging.

Do you mind giving me that link to the episcopal priest's blog? I can't remember where you mentioned it though I know it was recently. Is it in your sidebar? I'm an amateur photographer too, though I suspect I'm an amateur amateur photographer. :-)

oneperson said...

Below, I'll post links to some of Paul's (the priest's) blog pieces that mention his thoughts re photography.

Yes, I'm glad Jon still puts his thoughts up there. I confess that I miss his comments section. I know you don't do Facebook, but Jon does have a FB blog page where he and I still converse from time to time. :)

Good luck on that catching up. ;)
<3


Links:
A Curious Heart

Living Abundantly


The following link is to the piece that I mentioned on your blog that contains the encounter with the artist photographer:
Spiritual and Religious

... Zoe ~ said...

Thank you. :-)