January 15, 2014

Art...apply as needed. Cannot overdose.

I listened to John Prine's Some Humans Ain't Human over and over this afternoon.

While listening, I walked the hardwood floors, slowly pacing a large, oval loop, over and over.
One step at a time around the white, partial wall that separates the kitchen area from the dining room area.
Three white, carved, wooden scrolls, located on the dining room side of the partial wall, help support the gray-marble-topped bar.
Three tall, white-cushioned, bar stools trimmed in black and chrome, stand on the bar side of the partial wall.
A double sink sits on the other side in the gray-marbled, lower, countertop, on the kitchen side of the partial wall.

I walk.
I listen.
John Prine over and over.
Round and round the partial wall with its bar and sink.
Each step deliberate.
Clockwise.

Yet my mind is not fully conscience of my two sweet dachshund friends quietly observing me.
Their four eyes watching me as I walked round and round.
The walls graced with art, watching.
Glass sculptures, watching.

Round and round I walk for 10, 20, 30 minutes.
As I walk, I sip tap water from a tall, clear acrylic glass decorated with random, turquoise circles.
I let the news from the phone call sink in.

"It" is officially done.
I will announce "it" when I am allowed and when I am ready.

I thought: "Art. Apply as needed. Cannot overdose."

Some Humans Ain't Human....I'll listen until I'm done listening...



Mmmm Mmmm
Mmmm Mmmm
Mmmm Mmmm
Mmmm Mmmm

Some humans ain't human
Some people ain't kind
You open up their hearts
And here's what you'll find
A few frozen pizzas
Some ice cubes with hair
A broken Popsicle
You don't want to go there

Some humans ain't human
Though they walk like we do
They live and they breathe
Just to turn the old screw
They screw you when you're sleeping
They try to screw you blind
Some humans ain't human
Some people ain't kind

You might go to church
And sit down in a pew
Those humans who ain't human
Could be sittin' right next to you
They talk about your family
They talk about your clothes
When they don't know their own ass
From their own elbows

Jealousy and stupidity
Don't equal harmony
Jealousy and stupidity
Don't equal harmony

Mmmm Mmmm
Mmmm Mmmm
Mmmm Mmmm
Mmmm Mmmm

Have you ever noticed
When you're feeling really good
There's always a pigeon
That'll come shit on your hood

Or you're feeling your freedom
And the world's off your back
Some cowboy from Texas
Starts his own war in Iraq

Some humans ain't human
Some people ain't kind
They lie through their teeth
With their head up their behind
You open up their hearts
And here's what you'll find
Some humans ain't human
Some people ain't kind

Mmmm Mmmm
Mmmm Mmmm
Mmmm Mmmm
Mmmm Mmmm
Mmmm Mmmm
Mmmm Mmmm

(by John Prine)

7 comments:

Anna Maria said...

"Some cowboy from Texas Starts his own war in Iraq"...oh HELLl yes!...I'm still mad about that one my grandson sacrificed a lot to waste his youth and innocence on. I'm quite sure the horror of it will not stick with the "drugstore cowboy" near as long as it will with all those brave men and women who had to fight it for him.



oneperson said...

I think of that essay "War is a Racket" written in 1935 by Major General Smedley Butler. Though dated, much of it can still apply, imo. LINK:
War Is A Racket


I'm thankful your son is still here and drawing breath. ((( <3 )))

I'm a John Prine fan. But I had never heard *Some Humans Ain't Human* until about 2 weeks ago. The song came up on my Pandora feed. Later I looked it up on my computer. What a song.

The "it" I refer in this blog piece has to do with the scenario surrounding my ex-therapist, John Knapp. I am not yet at liberty to publicly share the "it." Even when I am at liberty to share, I will share "it" on my time table.

After receiving the "it" news on Wednesday...well...I felt a few things and one of the things was *dirty.* I wanted to take a shower and wash it all off. When I spoke with Hubby about "it," Hubby mentioned this song.

*Some Humans Ain't Human* was my therapy shower...and a mighty fine one. I'm still bathing in this song..'til I'm done. ;)

Thanks Anna!
<3

oneperson said...

correction...your grandson, not son. And glad both are still here. <3

... Zoe ~ said...

I've had a few of those showers in my lifetime.

Will be sure to take a listen to the song.

Anna Maria said...

Thanks Carol...it is a great song and so true...some humans are not human... some humans are not kind. You said the news you received made you feel "dirty" and this song made you feel showered and that is good. It can be a cold cruel world out there but it can also be a blessed one as long as we keep shaking the dirt off and hiking toward the good we are blessed with...such as your wise husband..

oneperson said...

<3

oneperson said...

The ruling regarding Knapp has been made public. I don't know if I'll write a separate post about it or not.

"Summary: Licensee was found guilty of practicing his profession with negligence, as well as with incompetence, on more than one occasion, and of unprofessional conduct...Penalty: Revocation..." from January, 2014 Summaries of Regents Actions on Professional Misconduct and Discipline