January 16, 2013

Part of the Scenery

**********
non-subject: death
aww ~ 1/16/13
**********

My father died alone on a snowy Friday in February, 1996.
He died in a hospital room in Richmond, Virginia, at McGuire Veterans Administration Hospital in the spinal cord injury unit.

Dad had been in the hospital for months recuperating from surgery; colon surgery I think it was. As a quadriplegic he needed special care and McGuire had one of the best SCI units.

But the hospital didn't call the family right away when Dad had gone into a coma-like state two days prior on Wednesday. I don't know why. A nurse finally called my sister late Thursday night, I think it was. By then none of us could get to Richmond; the east coast was in a snowstorm and the interstates were closed. My sister lived in DC and the rest of us in North Carolina.

Mom died alone on a cold day in January, 2009.
She died in a nursing home room in Hickory, North Carolina, at Brian Center.
We, the children, were with Mom her last days of life.
But she died when no one was in the room.
Hospice had told us that she may want to die alone.

Mom was the last of her eleven siblings to die.
Dad was the second of his two siblings to die.

Both my parents are dead.

All my aunts and uncles are dead.

I never knew any of my grandparents; they all died before I was born or when I was an infant.

Mom and Dad died in the winter, the season of hibernation and death.

But in spring, new life begins.

I wonder if the earth has always been that way?

**********

4 comments:

Anna Maria said...

Your story reminded me of Dec. 21 when so many folks thought the world might end. It surprised me that my 12 year old granddaughter and some teenagers I know were concerned. Late the evening of the 20th, a friend in Australia emailed me and told me it had been the 21st there for 15 hours already and it was a beautiful day and all was well. I posted that good news on Facebook and several of the teenagers decided they would go to school in the morning after all. Life goes on...and on...and on. :)

oneperson said...

Thank you Anna!

As I lay in bed last night I realized I have one aunt is still living. Guilt singed me...that I would have forgotten that.

She isn't a blood-relative aunt, but still she is one of my aunts. Of course, I had lots of aunts because of my mother's large family.

Interesting that your grand-daughter and other teens were concerned. They can now add it to their experience when the future end-of-the-world predictions come along.

Anna Maria said...

True...I remember as a child riding in the car seeing a man in rags dragging a cross on the side of the road with a sign on it saying, "Repent...the end of the world is near!" I got upset and Dad assured me it wouldn't happen and it didn't and I've never worried about those kinds of predictions again.

Don't feel guilty for what your mind fails to remember...or the things you would rather forget. Just be happy you have a good mind that allows you to express your feelings so well. :)

oneperson said...

Thank you Anna!

<3