January 22, 2013

Warm & Cold

non-subject: warm & cold
*********

I like my drinking water with no ice.

I like my frappuccinos with extra ice.

I like my tea hot.

Hot tea.
Tepid Water.
Icy frapps.

What was life like before refrigeration?

I wonder how food was preserved long ago?

I imagine food would have been dried or sealed in jars of clay or glass or tin. Comparatively we in the 21st century in the developed world live a  posh life.

I pulled out my Champion juicer on Thursday, January 12, 2013. I think it had been in storage since at least the year 2000.

On Friday morning I began my adventure into the rainbow - a rainbow of veggies and fruits whirring through my juicer. I commenced on my current juice and smoothie fast. I want to fast for 30 days, but I don't know if I'll make it that long. I'll see at Days 10, 15, 20, and 25.

I have fasted on various occasions throughout my 53 years. My goal this time is a lifestyle change. That's why I want to fast for 30 days.

When I emerge I want to know my body better, to hear it better, to listen to it better.

And not just my body, but also my soul.

A juice fast is a concrete step I can take in loving myself, doing something good for me.

A hopeful side benefit of the fast will be some weight loss and less inflammation in my system.

Inflammation has been a recent big problem since I developed serum sickness in April, 2011. And now, due at least in part to the serum sickness, I have a hefty case of carpal tunnel in my right hand. I see a hand surgeon this Thursday.

As life would have it, I serendipitously met a hand surgeon last night while I was at work.

Our hands touch and feel and speak.
They protect and bless and curse.
We wear gloves to keep them warm.
But when in gloves, their sense of touch is muted.
And if they get really, really cold, their sense of touch disappears.

I'm glad my hands can feel, even when they feel pain.

*************

4 comments:

Anna Maria said...

Interesting post! I like iced tea in summer and hot tea in winter and I can take coffee any which way.

I remember my grandfather's brother having what they used to call a "spring-house" to keep eggs and vegetables and such cool in the summer. It was a little wooden shed built over an always cool spring fed pond and it did an amazing good job.

I have never tried a fast but I've just had shots in my lower back to relieve pain and it worked and I want to lose the winter weight I've gained due to the pain and you made me wonder if jump starting it with a liquid diet for a while would motivate me to continue. What rules do you use?

oneperson said...

Hey Anna!

Thank you for reading and commenting. I've been quite busy...thus my delayed response.

Yes, I know of spring houses. I have seen quite a few on my various hikes through the woods. Well, mainly at parks where the old houses (far and few between) have been preserved. I imagine those buildings have plenty of memoir in their walls and crevices.

I have no idea if a fast would help with the pain in your back. If you do decide to try a fast, I'd recommend reading up on it first (which I'm sure you will. :D )

I am doing an adapted fast which means I include some homemade smoothies.

This round I've combined ideas from the websites listed below. So far, so good. I'm on Day 18 as of February 3. I may begin to chew some food later this week. I'll gauge it as the week progresses.

I did make some bone marrow broth the past couple days. It's been quite a treat!!

Much love!
~Carol :)

Websites:
Raw Raw Life!

Reboot with Joe

Anna Maria said...

Hi Carol,
Sounds like your fast is going very well. After giving it more thought, it probably wouldn't work for me since I fix supper for the family, don't think I could cook and smell the food and resist.

However, After the first shot, I am almost pain free and that encouraged me to start my daily walks again and I am trying to eat better. I make a bone marrow soup my grandmother used to make but add tomatoes and onion...and home made noodles...we love it. Good luck on the rest of your fast!

Blessings!
Anna

oneperson said...

TY Anna!

I finished my fast around day 25; that is when i started adding chew food. :)

glad to read the shot helped ur pain! i hope it continues!

i'm typing via hunt & peck using my non-dominant hand...thus the oddness of my typing/response. carpal tunnel surgery was 2/18 & i'm om the mend. yay!

ty again!
:)