May 12, 2016

Wings...

In a recent heart-to-heart exchange, Hubby shared with me that one of his challenges since the onset of my illness is how slowly I move. I'm currently at about half-speed of what I was prior to the onset. That will pick up once I get my next epidural. Then it will again subside, as the effect of the medication wears off.

That slowness is not only in my walking gait;
my torso, my neck, my arms, my hands --
everything is slower.

That slowness can also be cognitive,
depending on my level of exhaustion
at any given time.

That slowness is one reason I avoid social gatherings,
to temper the competition I feel
in the human race.

But even when I'm slow all over,
I'm not slow on my bike Olivia.
She gives me wings.


Kristin Armstrong with wings of chocolate milk. 

~*~
Comparatively, half-speed is an improvement from this time last year.
Then I was only one-fifth to one-fourth speed.
I keep reminding myself of that.

And it's not just "speed," there is also the "weakness" factor.
The percentage-comparison is probably not as favorable.
But still, the weakness has improved.
I keep reminding myself of that.

~*~




6 comments:

Covecritters said...

Sending hugs ... I know this isn't a good time for you, but, I will be in NC May 13-27, then again probably June 7-10. Let me know if you are up to meeting at any point. I'm happy to do whatever works for you :-)I could even make lunch and bring it to you someday :-)

Zoe said...

Thinking of you. <3

oneperson said...

Thanks Linda!
I look forward to our face-to-face the week of 5/22.
<3

oneperson said...

Thank you Zoe...
((( <3 )))

April said...

I'm so glad you have bike riding as a saving grace. Something you CAN DO and feel good about. Get your images to me and I'll make you something really great in Adobe Illustrator. I LOVE YOU-

oneperson said...

TY April! ((( <3 )))