February 1, 2010

"Of All Men Most Miserable"

************************
I don't debate theology. I just don't.

I used to "Bible duel," but I gave it up awhile back even before exiting The Way. I reckon Bible dueling is technically more like fencing than dueling. Both parties end up going in a circle (like fencing), with both sides using similar or same scriptures to validate their different interpretations.

(I recently read that phrase "Bible duel." Ha! Thanks Larry!)

When I used to Bible duel, it was mainly over the traditional doctrine of the trinity, that being that Jesus was/is God. I believed the scriptures taught Jesus was the Son of God but not God. (I was a fundamentialist non-Trinitarian.) I don't think there was ever once where my fencing opponent convinced me of their interpretation, nor did I convince them of mine.

So the following statement is not a theological debate topic. It's just an observation.

In I Corinthians 15:19 the Bible states: "If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable." The context is speaking of the resurrection and that if the resurrection is not true, all have died in their sins and perish to never see eternal life.

Tonight I thought, "So what?" It simply puts everyone on a level playing field. I'm a sinner, you're a sinner. We all die.

If there is no resurrection, no one will know it. So a person would never really know if they were the most miserable or not.

Something to think about?

*****************
Added note:

But then that verse may be a figure of speech. Also, the passage can be valued for its poetic irony. Perhaps, that's part of what it was saying all along, but my totalistic mindset wouldn't allow another angle of insight?

Or as my friend Dawson says..."Wait, I need to over think this." ;-)
****************************

5 comments:

isabella mori said...

hm, i just looked over a few commentators and couldn't find anything that inspired me to interpret this more favourably.

i find it interesting that having grown up lutheran (the liberal lutheran version, in germany), and having moved beyond it, i don't necessarily believe such pronouncements but nevertheless i take them seriously. it occurs to me that if i hadn't been so steeped in the bible in my forming years, i might just say, "what the ...?" i mean, it doesn't make a lot of sense, at least on the face of it.

oneperson said...

Maybe I should write a commentary. *chuckle* ;-D

I seldom post entries of a 'doctrinal' nature. What prompted this one were some emails I received recently, urging me to come back to the fold and believe the "accuracy of the Word," as The Way teaches it. In the emails, the author alludes to the verse in Corinthians.

Upon reading these emails, I found myself beginning to feel shut down and deadened on the inside; ie: if I didn't come back to the "accuracy of the Word," that I had nothing else to live for, that my life was vain, that my value was worthless. I breathed deep and walked away from the emails. Then I had to look at my discomfort and .....I had to think. Simply think and tell myself that I'm o.k.

When I reread one of the long email from the person, the "so what" thought hit me.

So anyway, that's probably more than anyone wants to hear or read. But just thought I'd add a tiny snippet of the context.

Thank you for stopping by Isabella!!

April Galamin said...

I love the "fencing" analogy!
Around in circles. Going in circles can make one dizzy over time. ;-) I used to call it "banging bible verses".

For every judgmental verse, there's a merciful verse. There are so many sects of christianity & they all say they are the "true church" or their version of christianity is correct or according to the bible.

I really think a whole lot of it is the SPAG or Self Projection as God. I think that explains a lot. That's why some churches who have more abusive leaders are so damn harsh, while other churches whose leaders are more compassionate lean towards mercy. Leaders have the choice to be cruel or not, to hold on to the merciful scripture quotes or to hurl the harsh & judgmental quotes as thunder & lightening bolts to hurt & damage the sheep.

Yeah...SPAG helps to explain a lot of the bible dueling I think. :-) :)

oneperson said...

SPAG... lol

Did you make that up?

It's going in my repertoire of acronyms. Right up there with AFGO.

"Banging bible verses"...hehe I admit I had a mental picture of verses procreating. Oh my!!

April Galamin said...

I've never heard of AFGO....can you elaborate? :)

Nope. I didn't make up SPAG. I believe it means ~Self Projection As God~ I think it can apply to religious leaders. I think they project themselves with their image of "god". If pastor is abusive, judgmental, controlling & lacking compassion, focusing on the harsh & judgmental bible verses, their "god" will certainly emulate this. (usually you will hear LOTS of screaming from the pulpit & lots of negativity as they might focus on the negatives of the 10 commandments..."thou shalt NOT"...forgetting the positive verses like "whatsoever things are good, right, true, of good report, just..etc.)

If you google SPAG you might find some interesting observations floating around.

"banging"...hee hee, yeah, I thought about that too. :)