March 28, 2010

entry ~ room to room

************************

March, 2005.

As I hiked the five rugged miles along Mountain Trail, I pondered, "room to room."

The woods have different rooms along this trail.  Part of the trail is rocky as my feet balance between the small granite bumps. Larger rocks are scattered through the woods. They luminesce green in the rain; the moss glows. I've been told moss grows only on the north side of trees.  I don't think that's true.  I wasn't sure which side was north for the moss as it glistened on the large rocks.

These rocks.  I figure they came from the Jomeokee knob. I've been told it was once a volcano. Does lava still boil under the dome?  Will their be a time it will erupt again, spewing rock and lava, sculpting a new landscape for others to hike?

Rooms.

Their are no leaves on the forest trees; spring has just dawned. There is no foliage across the ground in this particular room, this part that isn't as dense as the forest room where the trail winds in and out of laurels and rhododendrons and pines.  This area has tall trees of poplar and elm and oak.  Some of the trees have met their demise, now strewn naturally across the forest floor where they will feed the soil for years to come as their clothing and veins slowly become dirt. Oh the sounds they must have made when they fell.  KABOOM!

I once heard a tree like that fall in a forest.  I thought a trailer and car had gone off the edge of a cliff. The sound awoke me around 2AM in pitch black while camping.

Rooms.

Often when I walk in woods, I think of leprechauns.  I wish little fairies were real.  I wish they could fly me to the far side of the rainbow.

Often when I walk in woods, I think of eyes staring at me.  Eyes of bears or birds, chipmunks or squirrels, deer or coyote.  We have coyote in NC.  I've not seen one, but I know folks who have.  Tim has killed more than one on his property.  The coyotes are coming closer to the cities, so are the bears.

Forest rooms. Dense woods or scattered trees or bald vistas.

There are no walls between these rooms and the doorways are wide.

************************

No comments: