March 11, 2010

Convoluted

non-subject: "connection"
aww ~ 03/10/10
******************
I saw some photographs yesterday. Photographs of aborted fetuses.  I've never believed abortion to be murder.  I still don't think that, though sometimes I wonder. Do I think that it's not murder in order to relieve my own guilt, my own deed?

There is a difference to me between killing and murder.  To me murder has malicious intent, motive to harm, foul play. Perhaps when I had my abortion I was a victim of foul play. It's still difficult for me to lay blame at the feet of The Way for certain stuff in my life. 

In some of its actions The Way was criminal: cover-ups, abuse of power, sexual abuse guised as what a woman is to provide in order to bless a "man of God."

Sometimes I think it'd almost be easier if the sexual crimes were physically violent rapes. Instead, the "men of God" manipulated people who were indoctrinated to obey. I think some of the men knew what they were doing, intentionally manipulating, and some didn't. I'm beginning to believe that Dr. Wierwille was very aware. Makes me feel dirty, and I wasn't even a victim of the sexual "blessings" manipulation.

I feel dirty that I supported such, unknowingly; but still I supported it, for 28 years. Twenty-eight years is a long time.

I saw the photos of aborted fetuses yesterday.  Fetuses between 7 weeks and 12 weeks developed. The photos were of tiny severed hands and feet, of decapitated tiny beings, chopped spines.  I could see the finger nails on the tiny fingers. In one photo an eye was open on the head that was severed from the body. 

I wish I could remember how far along I was with my pregnancy when I had the abortion. I'm thinking it was around 8 weeks.  It's like a memory that is lodged in a closet in my head.

It's not lodged in my heart.

It hides inside a brain closet.  I see the wooden door with a black iron handle.  It's waiting for me to open it.  It's like even if I open it I won't believe what it has to show me.

My heart almost trembles.  My eyes wet with tears.

I sat in Janet's office in 2006, within a couple months after I'd seen the image of that olive-skin naked babe that I couldn't nurse because it was dead. Within a couple months after the dead-nursing-baby image and being doubled over in grief for seven to eight hours, a name for the babe kept popping into my head. I kept pushing the name away.

To my self I said, Carol, that's silly.  It's silly to even grieve something from 27 years ago. It's even sillier to name it.  You really don't absolutely know the gender.  Besides it never fully formed.  How can you grieve something or someone that you never knew?

But still I grieved, for months and months.  The grief wasn't just for the babe, but I think too it was for that whole time period and the loss of the relationship with Luke.

I contacted Luke to ask the names of his sons.  I didn't want to name the babe with one of the names Luke had already used.  The name that kept popping in my head was safe; none of Luke's sons were named "Alex."

I wrote Luke in an email and let him know. "Alex."  Luke never responded to that email.

He had mentioned in one of our conversations, that once a door is closed it is best left shut. I didn't take that to heart. I have too many closed doors.  I want them open.  I want to see. I want to remember.

I think that's part of the reason I felt rage toward Luke.  I never let him know the rage I felt.  I let my counselor, Janet, know.  I let a couple of my close friends know.  I wrote poems about the rage.

It's not an easy subject.  Relationships. Abortion. Indoctrination. Rage. Grief. Guilt.

And then feeling like I should just move on, like none of it ever happened.

Sometimes I hate God.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Click here to read an introduction to memoir: Journey through Memoir: Introduction
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

6 comments:

Darlene Ouimet said...

Wow. You are a gifted writer Carol. You have touched me deeply with this post and I can relate to so much of it.

Thanks for sharing so honestly. I find this a rare quality.
I look forward to reading more.

Thanks for this unexpected find this morning.

Darlene

Anonymous said...

Hi, Carol. I just wrote parts of my abortion experience into the novel I'm working on. Although I continue to believe in the right to choose and that abortion is not murder, you gave me pause. How much of that conviction is based on what I was taught in The Way? I do not agree with legislating against a woman's right to receive an abortion, but my personal perspective is worth re-thinking. I was married and in The Way when I had an abortion -- the marriage was rocky and because of that, my husband was unwilling to have a child. It was a surprise but I never questioned or objected. He was the head, you know. We went to planned parenthood together and had it done. I was proud that I had a husband along with me, that I was not an "unwed mother." What did I have to feel superior about? I had a husband and he didn't want my child! I did not feel it was a traumatic experience nor did I really grieve, but later after we divorced it was a source of great rage that my husband had required that of me. And periodically through more than thirty years since, I will stop and think that my son would be walking now, or I'd be the mother of a five-year-old starting to school this fall, or I could have a teenager by now, or my son would be in college now. Now I realize, I'd probably be a grandmother like many of my high school friends. I never mentioned these realizations, and method of time-keeping, to anyone. I don't know what sex the fetus was nor did I ever predict a birthdate. I don't remember how far along the pregnancy was when i ended it. And I was very thankful not to be tied to that marriage by a child. I might never have escaped, and if I did I would have had that lifelong connection to a person I'm thankful never to have seen again. So, in a way my husband was correct. We should not have had a child and it was a good decision, for him and for me. Who's to say about that child. Did he simply never exist, or if you believe in a soul, did the intended soul find another vessel? Or did I murder an infant? A life changing event in any case and worth working through. Thanks, Carol, for bringing it to light and sharing your own life with us.
Love, your friend LewEllyn

Cyndee said...

I am sorry you had to go through that Carol. For years I believed
a child was not a human until it breathed the first breath,(I told myself that)
I don't believe that anymore,and the grieving of that loss no matter HOW many years is something
that we as women do. Even after a miscarriage. There is a Loss.
It is normal healthly to feel that way Thank you for being so honest in your writings.

LewEllyn said...

I posted before as "anonymous"--didn't mean to but couldn't login. I forgot to add that my daughters were raised in The Way and taught the doctrine of not a living soul until the first breath. But we've talked about abortion over the past few years, and both have made it clear that they themselves could not have an abortion. They don't judge or push this choice on anyone else, but they've overturned that previous teaching with their own heart searching and gut response to what is right and acceptable to them -- what they can live with. The Way was actually counseling me to get another abortion later in my life, after my girls were born and when they thought pregnancy would risk my health but delay mostly my plans to enter The Way Corps. I was very torn about it and even angry, but the pregnancy was not viable. If I had terminated that pregnancy at their urging, it would have been with deep regret and self-doubt.

oneperson said...

Thanks ladies for reading and for the kind and insightful responses.
******************************

Darlene, I just took a peek at your's and Carla's blog. I recall your Tweets, but I don't recall viewing your blog before. Awesome! I've added it to my blogroll. btw: I too am happily married to the man I used to be unhappily married too! :-D

*************
Cyndee, Thanks lady!

I rarely grieve that loss anymore, though occasionally it comes around. And that's o.k.

For the first year(?) or so of the grief, I really had to work on accepting that it wasn't silly. I would give that benefit to another if she were grieving, but had a difficult time embracing my own.

My husband and a couple friends gave invaluable support during the times I would make my grief known. Yet ultimately (for me), it was/is still something I had to do alone, so to speak.

Thanks again!!
***************
LewEllyn, LewEllyn,...... *gulp*
Our paths continue to cross and connect on various levels. Who would have ever thought, back in 1998, that we would be where we are now? I certainly couldn't even imagine it at the time. Wow...

Thank you for sharing a snippet of your story with us. There is so much between the lines...as with all our stories.

I'll be writing more memoirs about this subject, as those memoirs surface. This piece was more of a mix or stream of consciousness, memoir, and journaling...as I continue to probe the story.

I look forward to reading your novel. *thumbsup*

***************
It anyone is interested, following are links to a few other memoirs I've written regarding the circumstances surrounding the abortion and the grief. As stated above, there are more to come.

Thanks again... :-)

Twenty-seven years and seven hours

Up The Way Tree (part 1)

Up The Way Tree (part 2): Extirpation

oneperson said...

As far as the subject of abortion, I still don't believe it is murder. I think it is a very individual decision to be approached with awareness and education. Whatever a woman's response to going through an abortion, if should be honored.

I would hate to see desperate women resorting again to coat hangers.

I do not think it should be abused as a form of "birth control."

I have a few links regarding abortion on my side bar under resources, toward the bottom, that I found helpful for me.

***************

And LewEllyn...awesome about your girls and the freedom (since digging and continuing to dig out from under suppressive indoctrination) we now have to allow our children to be and to find who they are.

(((Hugs))) all around...