March 7, 2010

Tears Still Roll

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I was thinking the other day. Thinking. Thinking. Thinking.

What if The Way International crumbled?  I write much about my time in The Way.

What if GreaseSpot Cafe crumbled? I will soon be writing more about my experiences at that online forum.

What if the Worldwide Church of God, Scientology, Detroit Church, Transcendental Meditation Org, Energetix (et al), The Family, on and on....what if they all melted and ceased to be?

I've taken what I call a lay activist voice in regard to totalistic groups, groups which sweep their unacknowledged misdeeds under the rug dismissing people as objects to be used. [Some people experience similar tactics in one-on-one relationships without ever being involved in these type groups.]

I was thinking, "Carol, what would you do with your time if these type groups all fell and no longer existed?  Would you still speak up?"

Today my answer is, "Yes."  With a shrug. To borrow a phrase, "so the fuck what!"

STFW if they all fall. They still did what they did. People still suffered at the hands of unruly human merchandisers.

If every abusive, power-hungry, god-forsaken, manipulative, sanctimonious, jerk-wad system bottomed out (which is highly unlikely on this current earth), my experiences are still real. Others' experiences still happened.  People matter, damn it.

They matter.

I recently read Rilke again, from his compilation "Letters to a Young Poet." As I read, the salty rivulets rolled across my 50 years of flesh. I wiped the tears with the back of my hand. Then more tears came.

Rilke's words continue to stir me, "...ask yourself in the most silent hour of your night: must I write? Dig into yourself for a deep answer. And if this answer rings out in assent, if you meet this solemn question with a strong, simple "I must," then build your life in accordance with this necessity..."

Yes, I must write.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hear, hear! I can't imagine a world filled with people who witness atrocities and do nothing, say nothing. To be indifferent, to be silent is not an option for the living.

Love the quote Carol,

oneperson said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting mm. :-)

I was once on the side of silence, and I hope to never go there again. That said, sometimes it can be difficult to gauge how and when to speak up; the amount of atrocities is overwhelming. Where and when do I speak up, how does one speak up? Those type questions.

For me I have to get in touch with my ticker (heart), endeavor to find my truth. I feel the only thing I am really an authority on is my life, my experiences...and even then I doubt myself. Thank life that I doubt that part of myself less now.

I believe in the ripple effect. If enough folks speak their truth, my hope is that it will help tip the balance. I know it will eliminate the lies and ab-uses that abound. But it perhaps might inspire others to find their voice, whether that voice be via words, deeds, arts, or whatever.

Yes, I love the quote of Rilke's also. *thumbsup*

Following is one of my poems about silencing. Someday I'll get around to putting more on my blog.
Reasons