February 4, 2014

Sympathizers

I'm not big on reading celebrity tabloids. When I do read them, as well as other events that make the news, I often think about the millions of untold stories that never make public news. An example: when I read about shootings, I often think about the young boy or girl shot down on an inner city street that day. I feel sure it must happen on a daily basis, but the victims or event are not newsworthy; so we don't read or hear about the event. (I realize not every shooting can make the mass media news, but that makes the little-known shooting no less significant to the surviving family and friends.)

On February 1, Dylan Farrow published an open letter stating her adoptive father, Woody Allen, had sexually molested her when she was a child. Prior to reading that letter, I had heard somewhere along the way tidbits about the abuse allegations which first came out toward the mid-90s. Other than that, I was ignorant.

The open letter got my attention. It is well written. It is sincere. It is direct. The letter makes one nauseous that such heinous acts occur and that they go unpunished.

A few of my thoughts after I read the letter and feeling sick to my stomach...
God, what a horrible thing to live through.
To come forward like this, she must be exploding inside, no longer able to tolerate the silence and to witness the abuser receiving accolades.
I wonder if others will come forward? I wonder if they will be believed?
I think of [various names withheld]. [Names withheld] ended up cutters and will struggle all their lives.
Wasn't Mia Farrow one of the ladies Maharishi made sexual advances toward?
Dylan is bringing this up 20 years later. Could this be a case of false memories? But it doesn't sound like she went to a therapist that implanted false memories.


That last question drifted in my mental space. Some might think it cruel to even consider that question, especially in response to such an open letter which puts the author (who has suffered great trauma) into such a vulnerable and triggering position.

Why would I question such? There are layers to that answer.

A few tidbits of the layers:
  • I have a very close friend who was falsely accused of sexual harassment.
  • I have read many an account of false accusations that have ruined lives.
  • I learned about 'false memories' first via Jeanette Bartha, who has lived her own hell and came out the other side. Since learning about Jeanette's story, I've read others and have conversed with some of those people as well as with Jeanette. (Jeanette has written a book which I look forward to reading once it is published.)
  • I stood up for a friend who was falsely accused (but not of sexual abuse or harassment). The result was that I got scapegoated by the friend's accusers, and I lost some friends as a result. (Granted, I stood up for that friend clumsily but as best I could at the time.)
  • I have been the recipient of publicly damning and false accusations; once it is done, it is done. I could only state my case in response. What people believe is up to them. Regardless, it's a hard lesson to learn and live and one that I think the falsely-accused most likely never forgets. It's a hard pill to swallow (at least it has been for me) that people whom one thinks one knows are actually a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

A day after reading Dylan's open letter, an article from The Daily Beast which was published five days before Dylan's open letter came across my cyberscreen. This article fills in some details about the Allen-Farrow family environment at the time (toward the mid-1990s) of the initial Woody Allen sexual abuse allegations. I then looked up and read a bit about Mia Farrow and I was left wondering if she is a possible manipulator behind the scenes. I think that the author of The Daily Beast article probably wanted to leave that impression regarding Mia. If so, it worked (which then caused me to question The Daily Beast article). [Of course, there are now many articles on the subject hitting the cyberscreen.]

I have witnessed people, who have questioned (with good reason) certain allegations in regard to something as horrendous as sexual abuse, get labeled as "rape or pedophile sympathizers" or as "pedophiles" themselves when it is the farthest thing from the truth. Such labels can be extreme conclusions made possibly from projection; or trying to make sense of one's own trauma; or because of cultural memes, to name a few possible reasons.

It's never easy for victims to speak up. It takes lots of soul churning and sleepless nights and gut wrenching "what ifs."

Neither is it easy to speak up for the falsely accused. More soul churning and sleepless nights and gut wrenching "what ifs."

I think questioners are more likely sympathizers with truth...and with victims...and with the falsely accused.



7 comments:

lastadamsfriend said...

When Dylan mentioned the torment that led her to cut herself ("I began cutting myself. That torment was made worse by Hollywood"), it appeared to me that she could very well be telling the truth. As I mentioned earlier, when someone cuts or burns themselves, they do so in order to kill tormenting pain caused by toxic relationships.

oneperson said...

Yes. From my understanding, cutting is a result of deep trauma.

I have no doubt Dylan has experienced deep trauma. I'm just not convinced that the trauma came by the hands of her adopted father. Most likely, the public will never know...unless more comes out over the upcoming years.

Following is a link to a piece written by one of my friends and writing mentors, Marta Szabo. Some of my thoughts to this Farrow-Allen situation have been similar to Martas.
Woody. Dylan. Me.

lastadamsfriend said...

Unfortunately from Marta's own life experiences, she could see this matter from both sides. (It's quite sobering to have such experiences.) I think that maybe if enough pressure can be applied to Woody during this latest development, we will be able to see what's truly inside of him. That his true nature will be squeezed out of him, like grape juice out of grapes. When extreme pressure was applied to Winston Churchill during WW2 as London was having the daylights bombed out of her, he valiantly showed himself to be a true leader, rallied the nation and prevailed. This same pressure later in the war caused Hitler to isolate himself and led to his undoing. The former was fueled by noble motives, the latter, ignoble.

oneperson said...

Sobering indeed.

Yes, regarding the pressure. Or the same could happen on the flip side...if Mia is the manipulator and pressure starts to get to her...or if any of her other children come forward.
(Moses, one of Woody and Mia's children, has recently come forward in defense of his dad.)

[Just an FYI note, but part of what I allude to in my blog post: Like other folks, I've personally experienced a type of that flip side aspect. In my case the flip side was my licensed former mental health therapist who specialized in cult-recovery. The first couple years, he came across as understanding and honest and a kind of champion for the abused and the underdog; but in the end, Mr. Hyde showed his true colors. It's a long story which, for me, ended up a multiple-year nightmare. It did not involve sex, but it did involve emotional and psychological rape.

(If one scrolls down at
this link to the subsection "The Effects of Emotional Abuse from Therapeutic Settings,"
one can read why I use the term psychological and emotional rape.)

My ex-therapist's mask eventually cracked and shattered. (Not dissimilar to what happened in The Way, and in other groups of similar ilk.) Yet still, the previous damage was done.

Some folks believe my ex-therapist's online smears and lies about me; other folks believe me. Of course, I have no control over what people believe.

I ended up as a witness for the state at my ex-therapist's licensing board hearing. When I have permission from the state (and when I am ready), I may post an update regarding the outcome of that hearing. (Another ex-client came forward after a couple years of me filing my formal complaint with the state. That client spoke with the prosecutor for the state but was to "terrified" to testify. I get that terror; it was another emotional and psychological rape.)]

Back to the Farrow-Allen subject...I hope Dylan is able to continue to heal and that the true culprit's, whether it be Mom's or Dad's, mask cracks...but that may never happen, of course.

lastadamsfriend said...

I’m sorry you’ve had to endure this nightmare. That’s got to be awful. I’m starting to believe we’re all abused step children–in one or another.

I’ve read maybe a third of that list of what to look out for in therapy and had to take a rest after the “You Need Me” part. Those therapists remind me of Communists who need to keep everybody off balanced to keep them forever controlled. My Russian friend Lazarus from the former Soviet Union said he couldn’t believe that you could actually get to a desired destination in America by simply following the directions on a map. "Unheard of!!!" He said that the Communists purposely put things in the wrong places on their maps to keep them perpetually confused.

lastadamsfriend said...

I had to edit the earlier comment. Sorry. My mind went in to many directions. I hope it is now clearer. I cut out part of it to make it flow better.

Also my experience with therapists is that many have yet to face their own issues and therefore seek to control their clients instead.

oneperson said...

Thanks Bill.

Thankfully, there are good therapists out there too, one who helped me traverse the convoluted maze with what happened with my ex-cult recovery therapist.

Filing that formal complaint was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I just never, in my wildest imagination, thought there were so many cock roaches in hidden behind the woodwork and that things would turn the way they did.

When I received the recent news from the prosecutor about the final result of the hearing...well...I had to figure out what it was I felt; I felt I just wanted to shower and wash *it* all off.
Art...apply as needed. Cannot overdose.


Thanks again.

To life!
~carol