February 2, 2014

The Next Book

How do I explain to myself so-called "answered prayers" or what I have referred to as "God moments?"
If I were to tally "answered prayer" versus "unanswered prayer," on which side would the scale weigh heavier?

*****
In The Way, all prayers should "line up with the Word." God's will is always health and prosperity, so as a Way believer I didn't pray for "thine will be done" on matters in which I already knew "thine will."

"Thine will" regarding health and prosperity was stated clearly in III John 2, "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth."

Therefore, as a Way believer I thanked the Father for having already met my need through the work of His son, my lord and savior and brother, Jesus Christ. I confessed my need met as a present reality, and I prayed thanking God for the healing that Jesus Christ had already earned for me, earned for mankind.

If I didn't receive healing or a physical need met, there must be a breakdown somewhere on my end. For some reason I must not be meeting the criteria of III John 2; that is, my soul (mind/emotions/intellect) wasn't prospering. Believing fell into the category of soul. If I didn't receive, I simply wasn't believing big enough.

I could "build my believing" by "putting on more of the Word" which meant more study of the scriptures, more retemories, more silently and personally speaking in tongues, more giving, more witnessing the Word to others, more fellowship with like-minded believers. After all, light casts out darkness. God is all light and in Him is no darkness at all. God made himself manifest through His written Word, the Bible, and through the Word made flesh, Jesus Christ. Those alone were the only true beacons that can cast out darkness. Sickness was dark. Sickness was death in part or in whole. Sickness was never God's will.

But why with so much accurate Word, why were not more Way Household believers prospering and in health?

My neighbors, the Speers, were "unbelieving believers." That's what we in The Way called Christians who did not have the accuracy of the Word like we did. Even though the Speers didn't believe the accuracy of the Word, they always seemed in good health and seemed to have their need met, and they had this laid-back approach to life of which I wished I had more. I liked them. They must just have big believing. After all the law of believing worked for saint and sinner alike, regardless if they were Christian or not.

It must have been around the year 2000 as I perused the self-help section bookshelves at Borders for my next book. On the bottom shelf toward the left I saw it, The HeartMath Solution.

"HearthMath." That's that the organization I read about in Pearsall's book and in that educational article about how when people shake hands the brain waves of one person will line up and match the heart waves of the other person, or something like that.

As my manner was, I pulled the book off the shelf, found a chair, and began to read. Then I'd decide whether or not to buy the book.

By the time I was into the first chapter I was already highlighting. I was engaged and intrigued.

The heart, can literally think? Not linearly, but emotionally. When I point to me, I don't point to my head; I point to my heart area. When I feel love or gratitude or sorrow, I don't feel it in my brain; I feel it in my heart...and sometimes my gut.

I was already quite familiar with the language of emotions from other books I'd read. I already felt and believed that my mind was all through my body not just in my brain, in the sense that my nervous system was communicating all the time throughout every system of my body. I was already entertaining the idea that intuition was a real sense, just like our other senses...even though that thought didn't quite sit well with what I knew about devil spirits and the Word. I had assigned intuition as a man-made counterfeit for the spirit of God working in situations and people. Intuition gave man the glory when it was God at work in the situations, and God should always get the glory. Intuition was at best ego; at worst devil spirit possession.

Do I dare continue down this path looking into intuition as a possible reality?

The electro-magnetic field radiating from the heart is about 5000 times greater than that of the brain. Magnetism attracts and repels. Maybe that's the key to receiving, maybe there is a physiological side to this "law of believing."

Gratitude is one of the strongest heart power tools helping heart rhythms come into coherence. The Word commands over and over to be thankful. The Word says the heart is where believing is generated, "for with the heart man believeth." And believing is what appropriates results. I build my believing by putting on the thoughts of the Word. "As a man thinketh
in his heart, so is he." It doesn't say, "in his brain;" it says "in his heart."

Could it be that as I learn to tap into this heart intelligence that I will build my believing and thus bring to myself healing results and answered prayer via that magnetic power of the heart? Do I dare even mention this to anyone? It seems so out there.


I spent over two years working that HeartMath book. Reading and re-reading and checking out other books and reading and re-reading about the role of emotions in physical healing, about the placebo effect, about spontaneous healing, about cellular memory, about the heart as a thinking organ. I bought a physiology coloring book to try to broaden my understanding of my autonomic nervous system and how it communicates.

Toward the latter 90s I had thought, If I can learn to somehow retrain my autonomic nervous system, maybe I can get well.

****
How do I explain to myself so-called "answered prayers" or what I have referred to as "God moments?"
If I were to tally "answered prayer" versus "unanswered prayer," on which side would the scale weigh heavier?

Maybe I'll write another post in the future addressing those questions. And maybe not.
****

8 comments:

Alice said...

How do I explain to myself so-called "answered prayers" or what I have referred to as "God moments?"
If I were to tally "answered prayer" versus "unanswered prayer," on which side would the scale way heavier?


I think those questions are very interesting.

oneperson said...

Hey Alice,

I may someday get around to a blog post addressing that first question. But then by someday...my viewpoint may be different that it is today. ;D

That second question...of course, can't really be answered. It'd take an eternity (pun) to tally. Plus, the definitions for "answered" and "unanswered" take on a theme of their own.

I just noticed that I spelled "weigh" as "way." *chuckle* (I almost don't want to correct that typo...hehe)

Thank you for reading and commenting.

To life!
~Carol :-)

lastadamsfriend said...

This is a very good question: “If I were to tally ‘answered prayer‘ versus ‘unanswered prayer,' on which side would the scale way heavier?” For me, I would be an abject failure (or at least an average failure). Because for every one of my “God moments,” like where I talked about the removal of those crazy goings on in my head and later on, that of the hornets, I have had several prayers that have yet to bear affirmative fruit.

The Way was (and still is) in denial as to the necessary suffering and struggles we must endure. Both Joseph and David went through extreme agony after having experiencing their initial “God Moments.” Joseph for many years had to endure the “human thorns” to his flesh who would sell him into slavery, falsely cry rape, and throw him into a dungeon that housed prisoners who were primarily meant to be executed. And David had to spend about the same number of years fleeing a mad man who brought out his whole army to snuff him out. These men had to fight their way out of the mental prisons of doom and despair, the way that a caterpillar has to fight its way out its cocoon in order to develop the wings necessary to morph into a free flying butterfly.

The Way, on the other hand, did its best to keep us in our “larva” state. Like the scientist who feels sorry for the struggling caterpillar and cuts open a slit in the cocoon to let the poor fellow out, only to watch it die, The Way pretty much did its best to preside over our deaths by denying the necessity of suffering and struggle in the journey of fulfillment.

lastadamsfriend said...

Well, actually I don't think I would be a failure in the eyes of my heavenly superior, but would definitely be one in the eyes of Way leadership. Also, like the "compassionate" scientist who actually thinks he is helping the struggling caterpillar find true freedom by denying it the privilege of continuing this necessary struggle, I believe The Way actually thinks it is helping it's members by doing exactly the same thing.

oneperson said...

Glad I'm no longer in a Way cocoon. Not sure if I'm a moth or a butterfly.

Regardless, wings are nice. :-)

lastadamsfriend said...

I'd say a butterfly. And I agree. Having wings is much better than groveling, that's for sure.

lastadamsfriend said...

Also when it comes to intuition, I believe it is a good thing -- and probably a God thing. I have heard more than one man say that he was just about to engage in a business deal with someone when his wife said that she didn't have a good feeling about this person, and advised him to not sign the papers. When her husband asked her what it was, she couldn't put her finger on exactly what it was, but in her gut it just didn't feel right. Then, finally, going against his "better judgment," he cancelled the deal and soon found out that he was dealing with a crook.

... Zoe ~ said...

The heart the brain . . . each require the other. :-)