September 4, 2011

Of Scandals & Scapegoats

What to write today? And the other question, will I click 'publish post?'

The main thing still on my brain cells is the Knapp scandal. And it is a scandal.

A few years back I read a book by Rene Girard, I See Satan Fall Like Lightening. Dr. Girard is an anthropologist who, to my understanding, termed mimetic desire and how that mechanism plays into the ways that cultures and groups scapegoat. It was in that context and study that, to my recollection, I first understood the term "scandal" in the context of scapegoating.

One of the best articles I've read regarding scapegoating, at least for me, is here: Undoing Scapegoating by Simon Crosby

I ran across Crosby's Scapegoating Research & Remedies site on a google search. As my manner is, some months back I was questioning myself. Was I scapegoating Knapp by bringing forth my story? Thus I read up a bit on scapegoating; one of the things I read was Crosby's article.

The following is part of one article that speaks loudly to me at this point along the scandal road. It is quoted from under the subtitle: OBSTACLES TO UNDOING

"[...]
The scapegoating process has a characteristic way of maturing and solidifying. Consequently, the more time there is between the start of a scapegoating and its resolving, the less undoing can be achieved - especially with the all-important audience. Not only that but there are other unfortunate time-related effects:

  • with the passing of time your associates may get more and more wearied by your desire and attempts to achieve undoing,
  • they may also begin to feel sorry for the perpetrator being continually held to account by you, even though you are entitled to do so,
  • should the perpetrator eventually complete the undoing he will tend to receive more credit for doing that than you do, especially if the undoing is far from the original scapegoating.

Usually the scapegoater will stop his process when he senses that he has effectively transferred blame and that any further transfer might be counterproductive. He, as it were, rests his case - but his `evidence' continues to harm and dismay the target - hence the need for completion and closure.
[...]"

From my perspective, Knapp is the scapegoater. Prior to the recent false allegations he brings forth toward me and others, I felt Lom (Lema) Nal was Knapp's main scapegoat. I gathered this from some private conversations. Did I feel a scapegoat during that time? Only some, and that because of Knapp's false accusations exacted toward me in his private email(s) back in August, 2010, and in an email he sent to someone else in September, 2010.

But now, the circle has come all the way around, and I (along with a few others) sit as a goat in Knapp's scape.

I've wondered if I will at some point start a separate blog regarding the Knapp scandal. I really don't want to, but at some point it may happen. Just so I don't write about it all the time on this blog. It can be a tiring subject.

So, time will tell how much more I will write on the subject and if I will start a separate blog on the subject. I don't want the process (as Crosby notes) to "mature and solidify," but I may not have much control over that process. I am but one person.


(Note: The above linked article by Simon Crosby mentions The Landmark Forum (with Crosby noting some reservations regarding), which I do not endorse. That said, I still find the article itself regarding undoing scapegoating valuable.)

Added note, 9/05/11: The following link defines scapegoating and expounds about what it is. SCAPEGOATING RESEARCH & REMEDIES: CONSTRUCTIVE INQUIRY INTO THE NATURE AND NEUTRALIZING OF BLAME
______________________________

No comments: