September 19, 2011

Thoughts on a Monday morning: psychopaths, mania, lies, & dominance

What to write. What to write.

I've been reading the past day about bipolar, psychopathy/sociopathy, and lies. I'm curious as to how manic episodes in bipolar mirrors that of psychopathic traits. I'm not an expert in either. Just a lay person interested in the subject, especially in light of recent events in my personal life. (The terms sociopath and psychopath seemed to be used interchangeably.)

[ I don't think people diagnosed with bipolar disorder are psychopaths. Plus, there are various types of bipolar disorder. Nor do I believe that people with bipolar disorder typically "lie," at least anymore than the average Joe. (Then one can get into defining what exactly a "lie" is.) ]

One of the articles I ran across lists similarities in bipolar manic phase with that of sociopathy. The list of shared common features below is from the article ASK Dr. LEEDOM: What is the difference between bipolar disorder and sociopathy?

A list of traits/behaviors common to mania and sociopathy
  • Increased energy
  • Grandiosity
  • Talkativeness
  • Hypersexuality
  • Pursuit of schemes to make money, legally and illegally
  • Strong power/dominance motive with or without aggression
  • Poor impulse control

The list doesn't mention 'lying' though, but it does mention "schemes" and "grandiosity." Is it typical for people to tell lies when manic? Hmmm...

With grandiosity a person may believe themselves to be and even proclaim to be indestructible or have a special connection with the universe or something, none of which are factually true. But to the manic sufferer, they are true at that moment. It is a delusion. So, is it really a lie? I mean, if someone believes that what they are saying is true, to them it isn't a lie...even if there are no facts to back it up.

I decided to google "does a psychopath believe their own lies."

In my search I ran across a three-part series entitled Myth: Psychopaths are great liars.
Myth: Psychopaths are great liars. Part 1 – The lies of psychopaths
Myth: Psychopaths are great liars. Part 2 – The motives of psychopaths
Myth: Psychopaths are great liars. Part 3 – The nature of lying

A couple things I came away with after reading the 3-part series is that the psychopath's primary motive is to dominate, not deceive. And to accomplish dominance s/he will use the truth as well as lies. In doing such, even the truth becomes a lie...in a twisted, distorted way. Thus resulting in part of the crazy making that psychopaths' victims feel and think of themselves, until they begin to unravel the scramble.

So, how does that (motive to dominate) tie in with the manic phase of bipolar?

What comes to mind is a statement from Judge Sol Wachtler, who is now a mental health reform advocate and founder of the Law and Psychiatry Institute. His statement is quoted from Sol Wachtler: The trial of his life:

"I don’t blame my actions on my mental illness,” Wachtler says. “I blame my actions on the fact that I was too driven in my profession to seek help. As a result, I not only destroyed my career, but I hurt a lot of very innocent people.

“One of the reasons for my downfall was narcissism, the belief—and I guess my illness was contributing to this—that I could do anything, I could be anything. Now I realize that I’m filled with all the weakness that brings out all the doubts that beset everyone. I’m not nearly as good as I thought I was."


I think that describes a "dominance" mindset.

The second president of The Way, Craig Martindale, used to use the word "dominate" regularly. Along with "permeate" and "saturate."

No comments: