July 13, 2011

Delis, Tin Cans, Ants, and Morgues

journal entry ~ July 13, 2011
transcribed


*************************
Today I write with ink on paper. My last entry in this journal was the day after Thanksgiving, Friday, November 26, 2010. I wrote about goals. At the time I was sitting in Mountain Perk Cafe in The Smokies in Bryson City, NC.

Today I sit in Jason's Deli in Winston-Salem, NC. The heat index outside is the low 100s. It must be 68 degrees in here; I'm freezing.

I can't recall our "non-subject" for writing tonight; so I'll just write.

Write - to paint a scene with words. I'm more of a journaler than a memoirist.

Before either of those I am human.

Sometimes when I drive I look around at all the vehicles on the road. We sit in these cans going from one place to another in our separate worlds with our separate worries going our separate ways. All on the same road. All separated by glass and steel and rubber and plastic.

I've often thought of what the creator, if there is one, sees when it peers onto this green and blue ball with all the squiggly curves and straight-lined grids and these tin cans rolling about, each can with a determined destination.

I think the view must be similar to when us humans observe ant farms.

When I was a youngster, around eight or ten years old, I watched my ant farm with great intrigue. Especially the ants burial grounds. The worker ants would roll the dead ants down the tunnel on the left side of the ant farm and into the oval room they had hewn out for the dead bodies.

My ant farm had a green top and a green bottom, both plastic pieces about 20 inches long and 1/2-inch thick, with lips and ridges on the inside of each. The lips fit over the clear, plastic, rectangular casing which was about 20 inches long and 15 inches tall, with about 1/2-inch of air-space within the walled casing where the sand was poured and where the ants lived. The sand between the two clear plastic walls was white. The ants were black.

I don't recall how long my ants lived. I guess the last ant to die never made it to the morgue.

Jason's Deli feels a bit warmer now. But I still shiver.

*************************

No comments: